Chapter 13

S7 E17: The Born-Again Identity

I separated from my brothers, since I'm not human... entirely, I tried to spy on Dick Roman which ultimately failed. Dude's fucking famous, but so hard to keep track of. So now I'm really high, haven't had proper sleep in 5 days, and kinda balancing on my last string. My phone rang, I grabbed it, answering,
Dean said" Hey, water-port to me, right now."
I said" What happened?"
" It's Sam."
" On the way. Pull over."
" All right." I grabbed my bag, pulling it onto my shoulders, then focused my energy. I landed in the car, coughing, he started driving.
——
We walked into an office, a nurse following us,
She said" Okay, sir? You can't just barge in here without an appointment!"
Dean said" They said, talk to Kadinsky. You Kadinsky?"
" You need to be scheduled!"
" Well, then schedule me! He was in a car crash. Why the hell can't we see him?"
The doctor said" You're Sam Smith's brothers."
" Yeah, what's going on?"
" I-It's fine. Thank you. Really." She walked out," Sam was admitted. He was treated for a broken rib and lacerations."
" Okay. That's not too bad. And?"
" And... he's on our locked psychiatric floor."
" I mean, he's had some trouble..."
" So you're aware that Sam is experiencing a full-blown psychotic episode?"
" Psychotic? Come on. I mean, the guy's... it's not like the guy's freakin' Norman Bates."
" I'm sure he isn't. We need to determine whether his state was brought on by the insomnia or whether the insomnia is a symptom of his condition. Do you understand? So that we can figure out how to treat him."
" Well, all I can say is that the sleep thing is kind of new."
" Right... well... we've pumped him about as full of sedatives as we safely can. So far, he won't go under. I've never seen anything like it."

We got to Sam's door, he looked terrible, I'm gonna kick his ass! Dean and I walked in,
Dean said" How are you feeling?"
Sam said" Maybe you should cancel my UFC fight." Dean sat on the bed, I stood by him,
" Sam, I'm gonna find you help."
" I don't think it's out there, Dean."
" We don't know that."
" We know better than most. It's all snake oil. Last faith healer we hooked up with had a reaper on a leash, remember?" Dean stood,
" Yeah... Sam, I remember."
" I'm just saying..."
" What? That you don't want my help?"
" No, I'm just saying don't do this to yourself."
" Sam, if I don't find something-"
" Then I'll die. Dean, we knew this was coming."
" No. No."
" When you put my soul back. Cas warned you about all the crap it would-"
" Screw Cas! Quit being dali frickin' yoda about this, okay? Get pissed!"
" I'm too tired. This is what happens when you throw a soul into Lucifer's dog bowl. When you think there's just gonna be some cure out there?" Dean walked out, I shook my head, then followed him out.
——
Dean's been calling numbers, trying to find help, but none so far, and honestly... I don't know if we will find any help for Sam, I mean, this isn't normal.

I was half asleep, when Dean hit my leg, I groaned,
He said" Come on, we're headed to Colorado, we got a something."
I said" Can I have like 2 more minutes?"
" You can sleep in the car, let's roll."
" Mmkay." I got up, following him out the door, I grabbed my bag, I got into passenger. He started driving, I leaned back, closing my eyes, listening to music.
——
We were in Colorado, Dean got out, walking up to this house, then I saw him get slammed into the door. I water-ported to him, then he stabbed the demon with the blade. We looked as we saw... what the hell?!
The guy said" What was that?" Wearing Cas' meat suit... okay... okay, okay... what? What?! I looked at Dean, my mouth gaped, eyes wide...

The guy, Emanuel, untied his wife, I'm so confused, I think I'm too sober to deal with this. The guy and wife walked up to us,
He said" I'm Emanuel."
Dean said" Dean. I'm... Dean." They shook hands,
" Thank you for protecting my wife."
" Your wife. Right."
" I saw his face. His real face."
" He was a demon."
" A demon walked the earth."
" Demons. Whackloads of them. You don't know about..."
The wife said" You saw the demon's true face. Emanuel has very special gifts."
" Yeah. I-I've heard that about... Emanuel. That you can heal people up."
He said" I seem to be able to help to a certain degree. What's your issue?"
" My brother."

I woke up, blinking a few times, I saw Emanuel standing outside the car, I water-ported out as I saw Meg.
Emanuel said" Her face! She's one of-"
Meg said" It's okay. We come in different flavors."
Dean said" She's, uh... a friend." I hissed,
" Meg. Just here for moral support. I mean, after all, we go way back. Dean and me. Just met you, of course. I think we're gonna be good friends, too." I glared at Dean,
" All right. Can we go?" My eyes glowed, my face started to shift," Key, cool it." I made a fist and water pellets hit his back," Keir." I water-ported into the backseat, crossing my arms, breathing heavily.

It was silent, I was glaring at Meg, if she even pulls one move, I'll make her wish she was in hell.
Emanuel said" This silence is very uncomfortable. Is there something I should know?"
Meg said" I don't know. Dean?"
Dean said" No. Meg has that effect. Awkward. You know?"
Emanuel said" That must be difficult for you."
Meg said" Dean's making a joke, Emanuel."
" Oh." He chuckled, I glanced to Dean then went back to glaring at Meg, my powers acting up.
——
We got to the place they're keeping Sammy at, we got out,
Emanuel said" Oh, gracious."
Meg said" Damn it. Demons."
Dean and I said" All of them?"
" No grass growing under your feet."
Emanuel said" How many of those knives do you have?"
Dean said" Just the one."
" Well, then forgive me, but what do we do?"
Meg said" Yeah, Dean. Got any other ideas how we could blast through that?"
" Excuse us. Meg?"
" Oh, for the love of..." She followed Dean and I," Sam's in there. I know you're enjoying the double dip with your old pal, but-"
" You think it's that cut and dry? Really? You know what he did. And you want to tell him and just hope that he takes it in stride? He could snap. He could... disappear. Who knows?"
Emanuel said" I gather we know each other." 
Meg said" Just a dollop."
" You can tell me. I'll be fine."
Dean said" How do you know? You just met yourself. I've known you for years."
Meg said" You're an angel."
Emanuel said" I'm sorry? Is that a flirtation?"
" No, it's a species. A very powerful one."
Dean said" She's not lying. Okay? That's why you heal people. You don't eat. I'm sure there's more."
Emanuel said" Why wouldn't you tell me? Being an angel- it sounds pleasant."
" It's not. Trust me. It's bloody. It's corrupt. It's not pleasant."
Meg said" He would know. You used to fight together. Bestest friends, actually."
Emanuel said" We're... friends? Am I Cas? I-I had no idea. I don't remember you. I'm sorry."
" Look. You got the juice. You can smite every demon in that lot."
" But I don't remember how."
Dean said" It's in there. I'm sure it's just like riding a bike."
" I don't know how to do that, either. All right, I'll try." He walked away from us,
" This ain't gonna go well."
Meg said" I don't know. I believe in the little tree topper." We watched him go down there and he smited the demons, nice." That's my boy."

We walked down there,
Meg said" That was beautiful, Clarence."
Dean said" Cas?"
Cas said" I remember you. I remember everything. What I did. What I became. Why didn't you tell me?"
" Because Sam is dying in there."
" Because of me. Everything. All these people. I shouldn't be here." He walked away,
" Cas. Cas! You stay here. Cas!" He followed Cas, leaving me with Meg, ugh.

We were in Sam's room,
Dean said" What the hell you mean you can't."
Cas said" I mean there's nothing left to rebuild."
" Why not?"
" Because it crumbled. The pieces got crushed to dust by whatever's happening inside his head right now."
" So you're saying there's nothing? That he's gonna be like this until his candle blows out?"
" I'm sorry. This isn't a problem I can make disappear. And you know that. But I may be able to shift it."
" Shift?"
" Yeah, it would get Sam back on his feet." He walked to Sam," It's better this way. I'll be fine."
" Wait, Cas, what are you doing?"
" Now, Sam... this may hurt. And if I can't tell you again... I'm sorry I ever did this to you." He grabbed Sam's head, Cas took whatever it was into himself.
" Sam?"
Sam said" Dean!"
" Sam!"
" Cas? Cas, is that you?" Cas backed away and hit the wall...

Sam said" We can't just leave him."
Dean said" Well, we can't bring him with us. Everything on the planet's out for us, okay? Word gets out, we can't protect him. Not really. This is safer. Every demon who knows about Cas is dead."
" Not everyone. Look, Dean, this whole enemy of my enemy is my friend thing feels kind of like a demon deal."
" It's not a deal. It's-"
" It's what?"
" Mutually assured destruction. Look, man, I get it. She's not our friend. We don't even have friends. All our friends are dead." He got into the car, I water-ported into the backseat, I sighed, I hope this doesn't bite us in the ass later.