Chapter 27

Sam said" Yeah, and you're certain? You sure? Okay. Great. Just, uh, just hang tight till you hear from me, okay?"
Dean said" Who is it?"
" No, listen to me. I said hang tight." He hung up," We got to get."
" Can I at least finish my burger?"
" We got a vamp kill, Dean- Carencro, Louisiana."
" Huh. It's been a while since I've had some étouffée. Who's the source?"
" Martin Creaser." Dean froze for a second, looking at Sam,
" Sorry- for a minute there, I thought you said Martin Creaser. Crazy Martin from the loony bin?"
" Glendale springs discharged him last month."
" And? Shouldn't he be assembling toys in a padded room? What's he doing back on the job?"
" I asked him."
" You what?"
" Look, he called me when he got out, okay, asked if I had anything for him that might help him ease back into the game. He seemed okay- mostly- so I said yes. I've had him tracking Benny for the past week."
" You put mostly okay Martin on Benny? What is mostly okay doing hunting at all?"
" Not hunting, Dean- tracking. Observe and report only. I was crystal clear about that."
" Wow. I can't believe that."
" Really, Dean? You don't believe that? Because Benny's a vampire. And any hunter worth his salt isn't gonna let one just walk around freely. So I had Martin keep tabs on him. And right now, It's looking like I made the right call."
" So Martin's saying Benny did this?"
" Yeah."
" Okay."
" Okay?"
" If Benny's in Louisiana draining folks... we should look into it." I raised my hand, starting the car and pressing the pedal, pulling the shift, and it started moving.
I said" Eat, you've got like 10 minutes before I get bored." I drove the car with my powers, staring at the front, keeping focused.
——
We walked up Martin's door, it opened, he's weird, I can't stand him, he's jittery.
Martin said" You said look for an eruption? How's Mount Vesuvius?" We walked in, he closed the door, he walked to us," I got into town about a week ago. Up until last night, nothing. He's been clean."
Dean said" Doing what?"
" Just minding his own business. Working at the gumbo shack."
" Benny's working at the gumbo shack?"
" Yeah. Slinging hash, pouring coffee- the whole bit. And he may be Benny to you. Folks around here call him Roy."
" Martin, you sure you're running on a full charge?"
" Y-Yeah. L-Little s-shock therapy in the morning, and I-I'm good to go."
Sam said" Tell us what happened last night."
" So, I followed him home, just like every night. He turned up a path. I hear a scream. I catch up. Boom- there he is. The old coot that Roy was eyeballing at the joint- vamped."
Dean said" Wait- did you actually see Benny kill the guy or not?"
" I saw enough."
" Well, then, how can you be sure it was Benny if you didn't actually see him do it?"
" B-B-Because I saw Benny turn up the path, and then two seconds later, I trip over a body with its throat ripped. Look, man, you ever hear of Occam's razor? Keep it simple, stupid? It's not that complicated."
" There's a lot of holes, Martin."
" Holes?! The only holes we should be looking at are in the vic's neck."
" This sound like the Benny you know?"
Sam said" I don't know Benny."
Martins aid" The benny you know? Say what? Why am I getting the distinct impression that your brother is vouching for a vampire?"
" Guy, let's not argue."
Dean said" Nobody's arguing, but if this is Benny- and that's a big if-"
Martin said" Oh, it's him."
" I got history with the guy, okay? I'm not signing up for a witch hunt. I owe him more than that."
" What in god's great creation could a Winchester possibly owe a vampire? Am I hearing this right?"
" Look, until we get the facts, we stow the bloodlust and we work this case right, or we work it separately."
" Doing it right would be separating his head from his shoulders."
" I just need some time, Sammy."
" Oh, yeah. Let the fang take another life? I don't think so."
Sam said" How much time do you need?"
" You're not actually considering this?"
Dean said" Couple hours, tops."
" And what if it turns out to be Benny?"
" Then it's Benny, and I'll deal with it!"
Sam said" Couple hours, Dean. No more."
" I'll be in touch." He walked away from us,
Martin said" H-Hey. Oh, look. Hey, uh-" Dean closed the door in his face, Martin turned to us," You're joking, right? We're doing this as soon as he pulls away."
Sam said" No, we're not, Martin. We're gonna give him a little bit of time."
" Hey, it's your brother. It's your call. How long are you gonna let him go on like this? It's staring him right in the face."
" Well, sometimes it's not easy to see things for what they are."
——
Dean returned with some new information,
Martin said" Let me get this straight. I follow your boy... down a freaking path and trip over fresh vamp kill, and then you practically catch him in the act of burying a second body and you're still taking his side?"
Dean said" Vampires pick people off from the outskirts of town, okay?"
" Pfffft!"
" Not in the cafes that they work in with their great-grandkids. In fact, killing any human- it's not his style."
" Not his style? Not his style?"
Sam said" Listen, Dean, we came here on a dead body. You asked for some time, and now there's another dead body. Are we just going on trust here?"
Dean said" Yes."
" Okay. Because we've killed for a lot less, and you know how these things turn out for us."
" Yes, I do- too well. In fact, every relationship I have ever had has gone to crap at some point. But the one thing I can say about Benny- he has never let me down." I raised my eyebrow, okay, bitch! Sam scoffed, looking at him.
" Well, good on you, Dean. Must feel great finally finding someone you can trust after all these years."
" All I'm saying is that Benny is innocent."
" No. You're too close to this."
" You're not gonna find him. And if you do, I'm gonna tell you this. You'll be lucky to get out alive. And you- you go with him, you're a dead man- period."
" These are innocent lives we're talking about, Dean. And you're willing to risk that on Benny's word alone?"
" Damn right I am." Then Martin hit Dean, Dean knocked out, I hissed, looking at Martin.
" What... was that?"
Martin said" Dean made his choice. Let's go do our job." I hissed and pinned Martin to the wall, my eyes glowed and I went to kill him, Sam grabbed me and threw me off. I hit the floor and everything went black...

The guy put the pill on my tongue and I swallowed, we started making out, our hands groping at any part of the body we could. We rolled onto the floor, busting out laughing,
He said" So, Preston, what made you you?"
I laughed" You are way too high!"
" Slightly... answer the question or are you too afraid?"
" I'm not too afraid, asshole."
" Then answer." He kissed at my neck, licking from my ear to my chin,
" Uh, mom died, put into foster care, till I ran away and found my brothers... shit happened, a lot of shit happened."
" Where are they know?"
" Uh, one's with a girl, and the other's dead."
" Sorry."
" It's fine." He kissed me roughly, closing his eyes, my eyes flashed as I kissed back just as rough.
" What brings you to places like this?"
" The pain, the guilt, the grief... according to the day." I sucked at his jawline," Come on, making out while high is on my to-do list today." He laughed and kissed me...

I woke up in the impala, I saw Benny get into his and drive away, I can't believe Dean let him go. Whether or not he was the killer! Dean got into the car,
He said" You all right?"
I said" So a vamp you spent a year in purgatory with is more valuable than your own damn brother... You were gonna kill me because I killed some people! But he's a damn vampire and he's let off the hook?!"
" He didn't kill anyone."
" He's a vampire, Dean. No one can control their instincts forever! You trust a vamp more than me, okay? I get it! I totally get it, I mean, I did try to kill Martin when he knocked you out, but hey, I'm just another monster you'd gank."
" That's not-"
" It is! But you don't realize it, Dean! Your head is too far up your ass. You'd kill me, but won't kill him... I get it! I'm the monster in your eyes, but Benny's just a damn regular person... yeah, good going." I got out, I grabbed my bags, pulling one onto my back and the other across my chest." I'm out of here! See ya around!"
I water-ported, shifting into the monster I truly am.