Chapter 38

My phone dinged next to me, I sorta bailed, I couldn't stay in those walls anymore... no connection to water, it was making me anxious, really, really anxious. I grabbed my phone, it was a text from Sam, saying Kevin sent a video saying he was dead. But Kevin also sent us all of his research. Dean must be pissed!

I spit out blood, I heard a door close, I turned fast and saw my brothers,
Dean said" Let's go, Sam has a hunch."
I said" We're trying screws loose? Fantastic."
Sam said" Keir?"
" Sorry. Kinda."
Dean said" Rinse out your fangs first." He grabbed my bags, walking to the door,
Sam said" He's right." I poured some water into my mouth and moved it around before spitting it out." You're good." We walked out to the car, I sighed and got in, flinching as I sat down. I'm in so much damn pain right now, it's not even fun anymore.
——
We got to some motel, walking in,
Dean said" Nice place." We walked to the desk, a man walked up," Morning. Hi." The man stared at him." We'd like a room. Here, please." Dean started signing something,
Sam said" Did you hear that?"
Dean and I said" Hear what?"
Dean said" He has the flu." I sighed, looking at Sam, we need to get the third trial.

I was pacing the motel room, Dean came in,
He said" Regular tourist mecca we got here. We're the only guests in this who place. Last entry was in the registry was in '06."
Sam said" Hey, uh, you remember when, uh, when dad took us to the bottom of the grand canyon on that pack-mule ride?"
" The what?"
" And your, uh- your mule kept farting, just letting go, like gale force."
" Dude, you were like four years old. I barely remember that."
Sam laughed," You rode a farty donkey."
" Okay, uh, I'm gonna go check the two rivers travel museum and trading post."
" Yeah, yeah! I'm gonna-I'm gonna, um- I'm gonna follow the hotel manager, D-Dr. Scowley-Scowl. He's like a villain from Scooby-Doo."
" No, hey, uh, little big man, you should get some rest."
" Yeah, I can do that, too."
I said" I'll watch fever head, go." Dean nodded then walked out, I sighed, looking at Sam," Sam, if I outlive you, I'm gonna kill you myself." I walked to the bathroom, closing the door, I turned on the water, making it fill faster. I climbed in and went under, opening my eyes as they glowed, I gripped the sides of the tub and focused. Something was here, I think Metatron, I could feel the energy, it was really strong.

I heard something fall, I shot up, jumping out of the water and opening the door. I saw Sam on the floor, I looked around, no threat, I ran to him and felt his head, damn! He was burning up. I moved my hand and water came to me, I wrapped it around Sam, lowering the temperature steadily. I moved my hand again, I made ice and filled the tub with it, then filled it with water. Dean came in,
I said" Help me!" He and I grabbed Sam and put him in the tub.

Sam woke up,
He said" Get off! What the hell?!"
Dean said" Take it easy, man." Sam
Got out of the water himself," Hey, whoa, whoa, whoa. Take it easy. Take it- found you on the floor, passed out."
I said" Your temperature was 107."
" We had to force it down or you were toast." He wrapped a towel around Sam's shoulders,
Sam said" He's here, Dean. Metatron is here. I know it. I can hear him."
" What are you talking about?"
" All I know is that I'm connected to it somehow."
" What, like you got a link to him, like a prophet?"
" I don't know! I just know he's here. Metatron is here."
" Okay. Here where?"
" I can show you. I can show you. The manager- he was delivering books to him."
" Books?"
" Books. Hard-covers, paperbacks, novels- Books."
" Stories."

We walked out of the room,
Dean said" I should be taking you to the ER."
Sam said" They can't do anything for me. You know, I've been remembering things- little things so clearly."
" What? Donkey rides?"
" You used to read to me, um, when I was little- I-I mean really little, from- from that old, uh classics illustrated comic book. You remember that?"
" No."
" Knights at the Round Table. Had all of King Arthur's knights, and they were all on the quest for the holy grail. And I remember looking at this picture of Sir Galahad, and-and-and he was kneeling, and-and light streaming over his face. And I remember... thinking, um, I could never go on a quest like that... because I'm not clean. I mean, I-I was just a little kid. You think maybe I knew, I mean, deep down, that... I had... demon blood in me and about the evil of it and that I... wasn't pure?"
" Sam, it's not your fault."
" It doesn't matter anymore, because these trials... they're purifying me." He walked away, I looked at Dean then followed," They were here, the-the-the books, the boxes! They-They're gone." Dean pushed the door open, and there were so many books stacked all over.
We walked in, looking around, then we were a gun cock, we stood in front of a man.
He said" Who are you?"
Dean said" Metatron? This is Metatron? This is Metatron?"
" Sit down." He was behind us, what the hell? We sat down," Who sent you?"
Sam said" We came on our own. We're the Winchesters."
Dean said" I'm Dean. This is Sam and Keir."
Metatron said" You work for Michael? Or Lucifer?"
Sam said" What, you really haven't heard of us? What kind of angel are you? W-We're the freaking winchesters." Dean and I shrugged,
I said" Michael and Luficer? T-Those-Those dudes are in the deep fryer."
" Yeah. We put them there ourselves."
Metatron said" What about Gabriel and Raphael?"
" Dead."
Dean said" You really don't know this?"
Metatron said" I've been very careful."
Sam said" Hey, can you-can you turn that down?"
" Turn what down? Oh. You're resonating."
Dean said" Resonating? What-What do you mean, resonating?l
" You've undertaken the trials. You're trying to pull one of the great levers, aren't you? You're pretty far along, too. You get that far along, you start resonating with the word or with its source on the material plane- with me."
" You said you were being careful. Careful how?"
" I'm not one of them. I'm not an archangel. I'm really more run of the mill. I worked in the secretarial pool before God chose me to take down the word. Anyway, he seemed very worried about his work, what would happen to it when he left, so he had me write down instructions. Then he was gone. After that... the archangels took over. They cried, and they wailed. They wanted their father back. I mean, we all did. But then-then they started to scheme. The archangels decided if they couldn't have dad, they'd take over the universe themselves. But they couldn't do anything that big without the word of god. So I began to realize maybe they would realize... they needed me."
" So, you get a ruffle in your feathers and just decide to disappear, go stick your head in the sand forever?" He nodded," You have no idea what's been going on out there?"
" Nope. That's the whole point."
" So you have been holed up here or-or-or in a wigwam or before that, in some cave, listening to stories, reading books?"
" And It was something to watch. What you brought to his earth all the mayhem, the murder. Just the raw, wild invention of god's naked apes- it was mind blowing. But really, really... it was your storytelling. That is the true flower of free will, at least as you've mastered it so far. When you create stories, you become gods of tiny, intricate dimensions unto themselves. So many worlds. I have read as much as it's possible for an angel to read, and I haven't caught up."
Sam said" You know what? Pull the freaking trigger."
" What?"
" Pull the freaking trigger..." Sam stood up,
Dean said" Sam."
" You cowardly piece of garbage." Sam grabbed the barrel and put it on his chest,
" Hey."
" All the time you've been hiding here, how much suffering have you read over? Humanity's suffering. And how much of it has been at the hands of your kind?!"
" Hey, hey." We pushed Sam away, I stood in front of him," You want a story? Try Kevin Tran's story. He was just a kid. He was a good, straight A kid, and then he got sucked in to all of this-this angel crap and became a prophet of the word of god- your prophet. And you should have been looking out for him, but no! Instead, you're here, holed up, reading books."
" He's dead now because of you."

Metatron brought Kevin back, or to us, I'm not sure.
Dean said" Is that it? Is he good?"
Metatron said" Give him a minute." He and Dean walked away, I looked at Sam, then looked at Kevin,
Sam said" Dean? Dean?!" He walked back in, Kevin was waking up,
Dean said" Kevin? Hey. We thought we lost you, kiddo."
Kevin said" I'm good. Second half of the tablet, and I got it. Third trial. I didn't tell Crowley."
Sam said" So what is it?"
Metatron said" To cure a demon."
Kevin said" Yeah. Who are you?"
——
Dean said" Cure a demon? Okay, ignoring the fact that I have no idea what that actually means, if we-if we do this, you get better, right? I mean, you'll stop trying to cough up a lung and-and-and bumping into furniture?"
Sam said" I feel better, yeah, uh, just having a direction to move in."
" Well, good. 'Cause where we're headed doesn't sound like a picnic."
" But we're heading somewhere. The end." Then Dean swerved, he stopped the car and got out,
" Cas?!"