Away

'guys she was just trying to help' said aang for what felt like the 100th time.

'but how do we know we can trust her?' said sokka, obnoxiously.

i rolled my eyes and flicked some wind into his face, pushing him backwards and losing his balance. i snickered.

'AANG?!' he yelled.

ugh, he really thought i was being unreasonable.

'come on y/n, seriously.' said aang, giving me an exasperated look, 'we could've been gone by now if you guys just stopped bickering.'

'fine.' i said, picking up my glider and flying up.

they hadn't followed me.

'well?'

aang smiled at the siblings and took off alongside me, pushing my glider a bit as we flew.

when we got to the sanctuary again, the lemur from before was waiting for us.

'hey buddy!' i smiled, gleefully.

he chittered away as i packed my bags and soon scurried back out the door.

'uhm, ill be back in a bit.' i said running out the room, 'i just need to get something.'

i glided around the once beautiful architecture of the temple.

this was probably going to be the last time id see it - possibly forever.

i needed to fly through it one last time.

as i flew, i remembered how this place had been when id first arrived.

but then my mind returned to that dark, dark day.

i collected myself and let out whatever emotions i had about that day.

'I'M SORRY!' i screamed into the emptiness 'IM SORRY I COULDN'T SAVE THEM'

i drifted down, my emotions consuming me, i could hear their screams, feel the heat of the flames, i felt my knees buckle and fell to the floor. my mind went blank.

then a voice brought me back to the present.

'hey, uh? are you okay?'

i didn't move, i felt frozen in place.

'um? crazy storm girl?'

i felt the person come sit beside me.

'im sorry about earlier.' he said sheepishly.

it was sokka.

'it's okay.' i whispered, my voice hoarse from my screaming. 'it's happened before.'

and it had.

around 3000 years ago id been tasked with finding the new avatar (but that time id been with ichika). when id found him with his friends who apparently hated us.

it wasn't completely the same, but at least it had prepared me a bit.

'i want to get to know you guys, really i would.' i sighed and a small gust of air whirled around us.

we talked for a while, just about little things. a comfortable silence fell between us, and we watched the stars together.

i closed my eyes and felt a hand on mine.

i flinched.

he pulled his hand away.

'uh im gonna go help aang and katara pack a bit more.' i said, hastily standing up.

it was only then i realised he didn't have his hair in a ponytail like he had before.

and, to be fair to him, it didn't look half bad. his hair drifted in the wind.