Chapter 7

(Y/N), Osamu, and Atsumu entered the gym, immediately hit with the intensity of a game in full motion. The Inarizaki girl's volleyball team was fiercely playing a team in blue uniforms. Though it was a practice game, not a single player held back. (Y/N) seemed to be in a trance, watching the team's brown-haired setter toss the ball to the wing spiker, who crushed it down the line, scoring the game point for Inarizaki.

"(Y/N)-San?"

She turned to see Kita approaching from the sidelines. Seeing her standing with Atsumu, Kita shot him a disapproving look and beckoned for (Y/N) to follow him.

"Where are you taking me?"

"To introduce you to the captain of the girl's team." He said, leading her to the bench where the brown-haired setter sat, sipping her water.

"Good game. You played well." Kita said.

The girl looked up and smiled, then noticed (Y/N) beside him.

"Who's this?"

"Hello, I'm (L/N)(Y/N)." She introduced herself, bowing politely, "I'm interested in possibly joining the volleyball club in a couple of weeks."

The girl's eyes lit up, "Nice to meet you! I'm Sachi. I'm so glad to hear that you want to play, especially since we are short a few players this year."

Sachi extended her hand, (Y/N) shaking it firmly.

"What happened?" Sachi asked, noticing the bandages on (Y/N)'s wrist.

"I sprained it while playing volleyball for my old school team. It's almost healed and I should be able to play soon."

"Old school? Where did you attend?"

"Aoba Johsai."

Sachi looked at (Y/N) in astonishment. Though the Seijoh boy's team had often overshadowed the girl's team, Sachi knew that the Aoba Johsai girls volleyball club was a formidable team. Last year she had heard all about their incredible first-year ace, whose talent was beyond many of that age. Sachi wondered, 'Could (Y/N) be...'

She brushed the thought aside. (Y/N) seemed to be only of average height and strength, she didn't look like an ace.

"That's great! I hope your wrist gets better soon!" Sachi bid her goodbyes and followed the rest of her team out of the gym.

With the girls gone, the boys began to raise the net higher and warm up. (Y/N) spotted Koharu rolling a cart of balls and waved, catching her attention. Koharu ran excitedly in (Y/N)'s direction, dragging the cart behind her, a couple balls spilling out.

"Hi Koharu." (Y/N) smiled at the manager.

Koharu grinned and gave (Y/N) a pat on the head. "I'm glad you came."

(Y/N) began to walk towards the bleachers and scowled, seeing bunches of fan girls scattered throughout the seats. Koharu also noticed this, and tugged at (Y/N)s arm.

"You can come sit with me on the bench." Koharu said, introducing (Y/N) to the coach and seating her on the bench.

Training started shortly after with the team practicing serves, balls were flying everywhere and Suna nearly got nailed in the head. (Y/N) almost snorted, seeing the astonished look on his face. A ball whizzed by in the blink of an eye and hit the back corner of the court. (Y/N) shifted her gaze to where it came from, locking eyes with Atsumu, who gave her a wink. She returned a disgusted look, but she had to admit that she was impressed. Atsumu's serve definitely rivaled Trashykawa's power and accuracy.

As time progressed, the team launched into a game of three on three. (Y/N) watched intently, seeing Kita hit the ball off of the block. It flew deep into the other side of the court, Osamu easily bumping it up towards his brother. With laser focus, Atsumu tossed the ball directly to Aran, who spiked it to the floor.

Atsumu seemed like a completely different person on the court. He was calm and concentrated while setting the ball, as if he was in his own little world. (Y/N) could see he was passionate about the game, seeming to hold a similar love for volleyball as she did.

The two hours of practice seemed to fly by and before (Y/N) knew it, the team was taking the nets down and cleaning up. (Y/N) felt a tap on her shoulder.

"Did you see how good I was?" (Y/N)'s appreciation for Atsumu's abilities were quickly wiped away at his arrogant demeanor.

"Meh. Oikawa's better." She smirked, seeming to have struck a nerve.

Atsumu flushed at the name of the well-known setter, "Just you wait till we play them at nationals, I'll beat his flat ass."

"Sure you will." (Y/N) said sarcastically and turned away, almost walking straight into Suna and Kita.

"You really need to start watching where you're going." Said Kita, with an eyebrow raised.

"Sorry." (Y/N) paused, "You guys played so great today! Suna, your blocks were awesome, and Kita, I didn't expect you to hit it so hard."

"(Y/N)," Atsumu whined from behind her, "Why don't I get any compliments." He said with a pout.

"You can get compliments once you start being nicer to me at school." Said (Y/N) shooting him a knowing look. She wasn't going to completely let him off the hook for being rude to her, but she felt better knowing his behavior seemed to be stemming from Akari. He hadn't confirmed it directly, but it was blatantly obvious to (Y/N) Akari was holding something against him. Understanding that he didnt genuinely hate her gave (Y/N) a warm sensation, probably a feeling of relief.

---

That night, (Y/N) laid in bed, scrolling through Instagram. She liked a photo Oikawa had posted, he was holding up his signature peace sign while Iwaizumi glared at him in the background. She felt a wave of sadness, though she had never been a fan of Oikawa, she missed Iwaizumi very much. (Y/N) thought back to last year. Her skills had been progressing at a rapid pace, quickly surpassing all of the other girls on the team, and she wanted to learn a jump serve. She knew asking Oikawa to teach her how to serve would probably end up in a disaster, so she decided to stay late after practices and teach herself.

One day Iwaizumi had passed by the gym, hearing the sounds of someone still practicing, he peeked inside he saw (Y/N) fail miserably at a jump serve.

"You're tossing it too far in front of you." He had pointed out, startling (Y/N).

That had been the beginning of their friendship. After every practice, Iwaizumi stayed late with (Y/N) to practice her serves and the two formed a close bond.

(Y/N) smiled sadly, thinking back at all the memories they had shared together. He had been the only thing holding her back from coming to Inarizaki. As she continued scrolling, she suddenly remembered Atsumus follow request.

Follow Requests

atsumu.miya7   ----------    |Confirm| |Delete|

(Y/N) hesitated, then pressed the screen. Confirm... Follow Back.

Almost immediately, (Y/N) received a notification. She quickly checked her DMs, seeing Atsumu had sent her a message.

Atsumu Miya
Active now
---------------------------------

Atsumu: [Hey (Y/N)-Channn~]     

Nope. (Y/N) did not want to deal with this right now. She turned her phone off and snuggled herself deep under the covers of her soft bed, dreaming pleasant dreams of volleyball and her old friend.