Chapter 13

(Y/N) pushed herself out from under the covers, surprised to see Atsumu's brother. She messily wiped the tears from her red face.

"Wh-what are you doing here?" She stammered.

He didn't respond, as if he ignored the question. He looked around (Y/N)'s room, seeing a familiar console.

"Let's play Smash Bros. I've gotten better, and maybe I'll beat you this time." He said.

"No way." (Y/N) sniffled, "You've never beaten me, and you never will."

"Well, we're gonna just have to play and see." He handed (Y/N) a controller.

She reluctantly took it into her hands. Sitting on the edge of her bed, Osamu and (Y/N) played without a word.

Osamu sucked. There was no way he had gotten better, if anything, he was worse than usual. Despite his lack of skill, it was surprisingly comforting to have his company and (Y/N) almost forgot today's events.

"(Y/N)?" Osamu finally broke the silence and she was brought back to the harsh reality of what had happened. She paused the game.

"Yeah?"

"None of this is your fault. I know you're a good person."

"I just don't understand." She burst out, "Why did he say those things to me? What even happened?" She buried her face in her hands.

Osamu took a deep breath and slowly told her about Atsumu's treasured volleyball tickets that he had bought for the Japan versus Korea game. He then explained how he had seen Akari sneaking around the backpacks earlier.

"It was too late when I realized that Akari had hidden the tickets in your backpack. I'm sorry." He apologized in a low voice.

(Y/N) shook her head, "You don't have to apologize Osamu. Neither of us are to blame here, it was all Akari."

Osamu breathed out in frustration, "She left before I could confront her. What a coward."

"Coward? I'm the coward here." (Y/N)'s voice broke, "It may not have been my fault but I barely defend myself. I let Atsumu call me awful things, then ran away."

Osamu reached out and placed his arm on her shoulder, "You are anything but a coward, (Y/N)."

(Y/N) paused, then looked up at Osamu, "Do they know?"

"Know what?"

"That it wasn't me?"

"Of course, I told everyone it was Akari." He hesitated, "That is, everyone but Atsumu. Just like you, he's also refusing to leave his room."

"It doesn't matter if he knows or not, when I looked into his eyes, I could tell he meant every word he said. That I am pathetic, dishonest, and selfish person. I don't want to talk to him again."

(Y/N) turned back and unpaused the game.

Osamu stayed for another hour before returning home. He opened the front door and trudged upstairs. He headed straight for Atsumu's room and knocked. No reply.

"Atsumu. Get your ass up and unlock the door."

"No."

Osamu rarely raised his voice, but desperate times called for desperate measures, "ATSUMU LET ME IN."

He heard a few shuffles, then the door clicked open. Atsumu wore a baggy shirt and sweatpants, his hair was a disaster.

"What do you want?"

"To talk to you about today."

"There's nothing to talk about. (Y/N) is a horrible person. End of story."

"Well..." Osamu began, "There's something you should really know."

---

At the back of the class, Atsumu tapped his foot in apprehension. All his attention was fixated on the classroom door, his heart pounding every time a student stepped into the room.

'Where was (Y/N)?'

It had only been late last night when Atsumu learned the truth from Osamu. Words couldn't describe the guilt and regret he felt. He had immediately messaged (Y/N), but to his disappointment, he received no reply.

Another student entered the classroom and Atsumu looked up hopefully, he was sure it was (Y/N) this time. Rather than (Y/N), it was the last person he wanted to see: Akari. She pranced to the back of the room without a care in the world. Sitting near Atsumu at the back, she turned to him.

"Good morning Atsumu~."

He didn't even spare her a glance, his gaze still focused on the door.

"I SAID, good morning Atsumu." She said with a harsher tone.

Ignored again.

"What's up with you this morning?" She complained with a pout.

"Screw off," He hissed, "I can't believe you would stoop that low."

Akari was taken aback. He knew?

"Calm down, I was just having a little fun." She winked at him.

"What you did was not 'fun'. It was hurtful to (Y/N)."

"Hurtful to (Y/N)?" Akari sneered, "If I remember correctly, I didn't upset (Y/N) in the slightest. It was you who called her all those hateful words, not me. She probably hates you right now after all the cruel things you said to her."

Atsumu's stomach dropped. Although he hated to admit it, Akari was right. In the end, he had been the one to hurt (Y/N). Regardless of what Akari did to cause the problem, Atsumu had delivered the blow.

"Shut up Akari." He growled.

"Sorry what did you say? I couldn't hear you Atsumu." She said with a mocking look.
Atsumu didn't want to make a scene in class. He took a deep breath and held himself back.

"Nothing."

"Good." Akari grinned, "Because it would be a shame if everyone found out your little secret, wouldn't it?"

He glared at her but did not argue. Instead he stood up and walked towards the side of the classroom, tapping Suna on the shoulder.

"Where's (Y/N)?"

Suna looked at Atsumu in uncertainty, but saw the concern in his eyes and decided to answer, "She's not at school today. I don't think she's feeling well."

Atsumu sighed and slouched back to his desk. He felt another wave of shame wash over him, knowing she had probably skipped school because of yesterday.

"(Y/N) isn't here?" Akari made a mock crying face, "Awe too bad for you."

She continued, suddenly exclaiming in excitement, "I know what will cheer you up! A shopping trip with me after school!"

"No-"

"We're going shopping." Akari repeated, this time, with a threatening tone.

"Fine." He finally exhaled in defeat.