Chapter 17

School the next day was a drag for (Y/N), her boredom was slowly killing her as every hour passed by. She had resorted to flicking small bits of paper into Suna's hair, who sat in the seat in front of her, unaware that it looked as if he had just walked through a snowstorm.

At the back of the class, Atsumu was sitting next to Akari's empty desk, who appeared to be absent today. Throughout class, (Y/N) noticed that he was in a completely different state of mind, acting more animated and even having casual conversations with the people around him. This was unlike his submissive and quieter behavior around Akari.

The bell rang for lunch and (Y/N) and Suna began their walk to the cafeteria.

"Wait up (Y/N)!"

Turning to see it was the blond asshole, she sped up. Atsumu quickened his pace as well and caught up to her.

"What do you want?" She groaned.

"(Y/N), I want you to forgive me."

"Why do you even care about trying to fix things with me?" She spat, "For the time that I've known you, you bounce back and forth between behaving like a total jerk and acting all nice. You're just so confusing."

This was true, Atsumu himself didn't even know why he was trying to fix things with (Y/N). All he knew was that something in his gut was telling him that she was different from other girls. She didn't act like his annoying fangirls, instead, she was strong-willed and smart. 'Smart except for when it comes to math.' He grinned to himself.

"Well, I know that recently I've been especially... harsh with you. But I wasn't acting like myself and I want to make things right." He said.

(Y/N) stood there for a moment as if she were thinking to herself, while Atsumu apprehensively waited for an answer. She opened her mouth.

"Bye Atsumu." With that, she turned and left with an amused-looking Suna.

The two friends approached their table and took a seat. Osamu looked at Suna's hair and snickered. Koharu, who glanced up at Osamu's laugh and saw Suna, almost snorted the juice she was drinking out of her nose.

"Suna were you just building a snowman outside or something?" She giggled.

"It's almost Summer Koharu." He said, a little confused.

(Y/N), who was beside Suna, ruffled his hair causing a shower of little white bits of paper to rain down into his food. Realizing what was going on, Suna turned his head slowly to (Y/N) and flashed her a terrifying smile.

"You're so dead."

(Y/N) prepared herself to run but was interrupted by another person joining their lunch table. Atsumu slid himself into the seat beside Osamu, right across from (Y/N).

"Hey idiot." Atsumu chuckled, putting his arm around Osamu's shoulders.

"What are you doing here?" (Y/N) said frustratedly.

"Whaaat? I can't spend quality time with my twin brother?" Atsumu fussed.

"You live with me Atsumu." His twin raised an eyebrow, "And you decide here is a good place to spend 'quality time' with me?"

Why was Atsumu being extra irritating today? (Y/N) just wanted a break from him so that she could enjoy her day peacefully. Kita clearly noticed (Y/N)'s discomfort and decided now was probably the time to do something.

"Hey (Y/N), let's go get drinks at the vending machine. My treat." He said.

"Thanks Kita!" She exclaimed, relieved to leave for a while.

She hopped up and followed him to buy their drinks. She was glad he saved her there, but in the back of her mind, she knew she couldn't avoid Atsumu forever.

---

(Y/N) checked the library clock on the wall, seeing it was getting late. This was probably a good time to wrap up her studying, which she had been doing since school had ended. She left the library and headed towards the gym, feeling excitement bubbling in her stomach. The coach of the boy's volleyball team had given her permission to use the gym for individual training after their practice was over.

She arrived at the large gymnasium doors and could still hear the sound of shoes squeaking on the floor. She was a bit early but the boys would be finishing up soon anyways so it wasn't a big deal.

Upon entering, (Y/N) received a few questioning looks from the players. Ignoring them, she made her way to Koharu and the coach, who were standing to the side.

"(Y/N)! I almost forgot you were practicing after us!" Koharu grinned, "Feel free to go get changed right now. The boys will be out of here by the time you come back and I'll make sure the net isn't taken down."

"Thanks Koharu." (Y/N) smiled and walked toward the change room.

Osamu waved as she passed by and she waved back. Looking further into the court, she caught a glance from Atsumu, but quickly turned her head away. (Y/N) opened the change room door and began to slip on her volleyball gear. She had missed the feeling of her knee pads hugging her legs. Before leaving, she pulled out her roll of athletic tape and carefully wrapped it around her wrist, making sure it gave her full stability.

Once finished, she returned to the gym, happy to see that everyone had left. Though, she noticed somebody had left their jacket on the bench. Deciding to leave it, (Y/N) began stretching and warming up. It was important that she was fully functioning when she began practice with the girl's team tomorrow.

After her warmup, she grabbed a ball and continuously passed it against the wall. It was satisfying to feel the sting of the ball repeatedly hitting her forearms once again. Though she had played a bit of volleyball with her friends in the past week, it didn't feel real to her. But now, being on the court inside of the gym made her feel so alive.

She completed 200 passes on the wall and stepped towards the expanse of the court. From her bag, she pulled out three empty bottles and set them down on the opposite side of the net in the back row positions. (Y/N) wheeled the cart of balls to the back line and stared for a moment. Iwaizumi's voice echoed in her head, going over the steps for an effective jump serve.

She snatched a ball and backed up, holding it out in front of her, getting a sense of where to aim. She locked her eyes on the bottle furthest to the left, that would be her serving target.

She took a step with her right foot and tossed the ball high into the air. She moved forward and started her approach near the ball's peak. (Y/N) swung at it as she reached her highest point in the air, her arm as fast as a whip. The ball made contact with a loud sound and rocketed towards the bottle, hitting it so hard that it flew back a few meters.

(Y/N) celebrated quietly, unaware that a pair of eyes were watching her from the door.