Chapter 37

(Y/N) froze. The small, dark equipment room was filled with silence. Did she just hear that right? She stared at his face in shock. So many feelings of happiness flooded her mind that she momentarily forgot to speak.

Atsumu took her quietness as a bad sign, "Nevermind." He mumbled, "Forget that I said anything."

(Y/N) snapped out of her trance, "Wait no." She put her hand on his cheek, "Atsumu. I... I like you too."

Even though (Y/N) could barely make out his expression in the dim light, she knew he was grinning.

"I'm so happy to hear that." Atsumu said softly. He leaned in close and whispered in her ear, "I've wanted to tell you for a while but I didn't know how."

Their faces were so close now. She was able to feel his warm breath tickling her lips. She moved forward, their noses brushing against each other. Just as their lips faintly grazed each other's, a voice rang out from outside the equipment room.

"What's taking you guys so long? Suna already left and I want to go home." Osamu called.

They jumped back and Atsumu stood up straight. He shot her a longing look and walked out the door, "Sorry, (Y/N) was just struggling to put the net up on the hook, we're done now."

She followed behind him, blushing slightly. Osamu gave them a questioning look but didn't say anything.

They grabbed their belongings and exited the gym. The twins had their bikes parked outside.

As Atsumu seated himself on the bike, he faced (Y/N) with a smile, "You need a ride home?"

She looked down at her phone, seeing a text from her mother, "Thanks for the offer, but my mom is here to pick me up today."

"Okay. Then, I'll see you tomorrow." He winked at (Y/N), sending chills up her body.

Osamu and Atsumu took off, cycling home. (Y/N) walked to the front of the school, where her mother was waiting in the car.

"How was practice?"

(Y/N) recalled all of the events that had just occurred, "It w-was... It was great!"

They drove towards the house. Upon arriving home, (Y/N) ran up the stairs and flopped onto her bed. She felt as if she was going to lose her mind. She liked Atsumu. Atsumu liked her. THEY ALMOST KISSED. She buried her face in her pillows. What was going to happen now? Were they going to date? So many questions ran through her head. But that didn't matter. She was just overjoyed that he liked her back.

She got ready for bed and soon fell asleep, dreaming dreams of a certain blond-haired boy.

---

"What's up with you today? You look a bit spaced out. Are you nervous for your game after school?" Kita asked (Y/N) as they neared the school.

"Huh? No I'm okay." She shook herself back to reality, clutching her volleyball bag tightly. During the whole walk to school, the only thing on her mind was Atsumu. She couldn't wait to see him in class this morning.

Once they arrived, (Y/N) stepped into the classroom. As she approached her desk, she noticed a small bento sitting on top of it. Curiously, she picked it up and inspected it, inside were some delicious-looking (though slightly deformed) onigiris. Had someone left it here by accident?

"Do they look good? I made them for you." A voice came from behind her.

She turned and Atsumu grinned at her, obviously proud of his creations, "Osamu helped me cook them this morning."

(Y/N)'s heart welled up, this was so sweet of him, "These look amazing Atsumu. Thanks." She beamed at the blond haired boy and he patted her on the head.

Class began and the teacher started the lesson, but (Y/N) wasn't paying attention, she was busy daydreaming about Atsumu. Every so often, they would shoot glances at each other, leaving (Y/N) a blushing mess. This was so unlike her normal behavior, but Atsumu seemed to have an unusual effect on her.

Unfortunately, (Y/N) was unable to spend much time with him during the school day, since there were very few opportunities to talk to him during class, as well, he was busy during lunchtime. Though in (Y/N)'s mind, the homemade bento of onigiris made up for the fact that he wasn't eating at the lunch table.

School continued on and it was almost time for dismissal. (Y/N) quickly packed up her belongings. Thankfully the teacher had allowed her to leave early for her game since it was right after school. She took off, out of the class, thanking her teacher on the way out. Atsumu had left the classroom to go to the washroom so she probably wouldn't see him until the game started.

Three minutes later, after (Y/N) was long gone, Atsumu returned to his seat, spotting a small piece of paper scrunched up on his desk. He picked it up carefully and unfolded it, reading the words written inside.

'Meet me outside of the gym after the dismissal bell rings.

xoxo (Y/N)

PS: don't tell anyone'

Atsumu squinted at the paper again. That was odd. He had gotten used to seeing (Y/N)'s handwriting while doing the English project... and the writing on the note seemed a bit shakier. He brushed it off, she was probably in a rush so it was messier than usual.

Soon, the bell rang and Atsumu sped down the halls to meet (Y/N). Unaware of someone following closely behind him.