Chapter 38

"Okay! The net is ready!" (Y/N) called out to her team, as she tightened the crank on the net.

While the girls were setting up the gym for their game, the other team had arrived and were now warming up. The Kanzaki High School girl's volleyball team had been ranked number one in the Hyōgo prefecture last year. They were quite a menacing team with insanely tall players. (Y/N) clenched her fists, she wanted to win so badly.

She made her way over to the bench and grabbed a roll of tape, wrapping her wrist tightly.

Sachi walked over and gave her a friendly slap on the back, "Don't look so uptight (Y/N)! You look like you're about to murder somebody."

(Y/N) relaxed her muscles, she hadn't even noticed that there was a scowl painted on her face, "Sorry about that. I guess it's the anticipation." She sighed.

Sachi laughed, then reached for her water bottle, groaning when she realized there was no water left, "You've got to be kidding me."

"I'll fill it up for you." (Y/N) took the bottle from Sachi's hands, "I was going to go fill mine anyways."

"Awe, you're the best." Sachi blew her a kiss as (Y/N) sprinted out of the gymnasium towards the water fountain. She flew past Osamu and Suna who were strolling into the entrance to watch the game.

After a minute of running, she stopped at the fountain and filled up her and Sachi's empty water bottles. Then, without hesitation, she turned and dashed back, ready to kick some ass.

---

Atsumu arrived at the front of the gym holding the note. Why did (Y/N) want to meet him here? He leaned against the nearest wall and looked up at the sky. Maybe now was a good time to ask her to be his girlfriend. Even the thought of it sent shivers down his spine.

"Atsumu~" A voice called out.

Atsumu frowned, that wasn't (Y/N)'s voice. He looked down from the sky and found himself staring right into the eyes of Akari.

"What the hell are you doing here? I'm about to meet with someone so please leave." He scowled at her.

"Meeting with someone?" Akari cooed, "You mean (Y/N)?" The dark haired girl smirked, "I assume you got my note then."

"Wait what... You wrote the note?!" His eyes widened.

"Of course I did." She gave him a sickly sweet smile and took a step towards him, "How else could I get you alone? I can't even get you to talk to me during class."

"Are you stupid?" Atsumu questioned angrily, "After all the trouble you've caused me there's no way I would want to talk to you anymore. Also... why would you want to get me alone?"

Akari ginned evilly, "To do this." She grabbed his face tightly and pulled him into a kiss.

Atsumu froze up, he had been completely caught off guard. What in the world was Akari trying to do? He tried to push her off but she held on firmly, lips still locked with his.

Suddenly, Atsumu heard the sound of shuffling a few feet away. Akari pulled away with a smug look. Standing in front of them was (Y/N), who had just rounded the corner, holding two full water bottles.

(Y/N) stood unmoving with an expressionless face, as if trying to comprehend what she had just seen. She made brief eye contact with Atsumu.

"(Y/N), wait. It's not what it looks lik-" But it was too late, her face twisted into a look of disgust and she rushed into the doors of the gymnasium, slamming them behind her.

Atsumu started towards (Y/N), but then remembered Akari. He whipped around and growled in a seething voice, "You bitch. What the fuck was that for?"

Akari snickered, "I don't know. I just wanted to have a bit of fun."

"YOU CALL THIS FUN? YOU'RE ABSOLUTELY DELUSIONAL." Atsumu yelled. He then turned and threw open the gym doors. Maybe he would be able to talk to (Y/N) before the game began and sort things out. He needed to explain to her that the kiss was Akari's fault. Maybe... his heart dropped hearing the whistle blow, signalling the start of the game. He scanned the court and saw (Y/N) in the front row. He couldn't read the look on her face.

Atsumu decided there was nothing he could do until the game was over. He headed up to the bleachers, finding a seat next to Kita, who was talking to Koharu, Suna, and Osamu.

"Are you okay Atsumu?" Osamu raised an eyebrow. He was very good at recognizing if something was bothering his twin brother.

"Uh... I'm fine." Atsumu replied half heartedly.

Osamu exchanged a look with Suna, but decided not to question further. The sound of another whistle rang through the gym, turning everyone's attention to the court. Sachi had scored with a setter dump and the team cheered loudly.

Twenty minutes passed and Inarizaki was winning the set by a landslide. The team as a whole wasn't playing exceptionally better than usual, instead, it was one player that was crushing the Kanzaki High School's team's defense. (Y/N) was dominating the whole game.

"(Y/N) is playing differently than usual. " Kita squinted as (Y/N) pounded another volleyball down the line, "Is something wrong?"

"Wrong?!" Koharu exclaimed, "She's playing SO WELL. She's single handedly beating the other team."

"Well... that's true." Kita said slowly, "But she's clearly overworking herself. She's obviously an amazing player, but this is totally unlike her."

Kita was right. Atsumu had been studying (Y/N) throughout the match and her playing style had completely changed from her usual. She was playing with an immense amount of intensity he had never seen before. (Y/N) was playing well, but it didn't look like she was having any fun. He had a gut feeling that Akari's kiss was the reason for this.

"Way to go (Y/N)!" Koharu cheered as she scored with yet another forceful spike.

(Y/N) was breathing hard, sweat dripping down the sides of her face. Even from the bleachers, Atsumu could see Sachi looking at (Y/N) with a concerned face. He had a bad feeling about this.