Chapter 3

Yecao Cao slumbered as he felt someone drag him away. He rustled to consciousness and open his eyes to a profound silence awaiting him. Eyes stared back at him and Yecao Cao suddenly felt himself sweating as he realizes he was standing in front of the Emperor. Had he suddenly mastered the art of sleepwalking? He certainly didn't hope so as he met two cold eyes on a majestic smiling face. Within a heartbeat Yecao Cao had thrown himself to the floor and slammed his face on the ground.

"Honored Huángdi! this Ling salutes you," Yecao Cao said with a voice that echoed. His eyes darted around him while trying to uncover why he was in front of the Emperor at all. He could hear whispers from the ministers wondering if he was the traitor. "No I ain't! It's far too bothersome," thought Yecao Cao who dared sneak a peek at the Emperor who met him with a radiating smile that did not reach his eyes. Scary!

"No need for such grand gestures. Today is a grand day after all," the Emperor said with a chuckled that made Yecao Cao want to cry. What was going on?

The Emperor rose and all bowed to his grace. The Emperor raised his hand and his voice sounded over all the whispers that silences out of fear for his wrath.

"Today, I want to announce the promotion of this Ling."

Yecao Cao's eyes went wide and he couldn't help but to stare at the Emperor. "What? Why?"

"Yecao Cao has become very dear to me-"

"I don't know you!"

"And I have decided to give him the title Zhiji," The Emperor's voice was so unbending that no one dared to speak against him but all stared. Their eyes was wide and their mouths was open. Yecao Cao himself looked like he had been hit by a wooden board. His eyes was so wide that they looked like they were about to pop out of his sockets while his mouth was open wide enough for birds to nest.

The title of Zhiji was without a doubt a prestigious one. It was a special title for imperial adviser given only to few rare people throughout history. There was just one little dilemma that haunted Yecao Cao. It was also the title given to the male lover of the Emperor.

"Rise, honored Zhiji!" the Emperor said with what was suppose to look like a gentle smile but to Yecao Cao it looked like he stared death in the face. He had no other choice than to rise and was pulled to the Emperor's side. He looked at the ministers and saw Tiachang who looked like he was about to faint. Shu Qiang looked at him with a sour face that did make his heart soar.

"From this day forth his court name will be..." The Emperor seemed to hesitate for a moment and Yecao Cao got a bad premonition. "Mei yu Huayuán!"

Yecao Cao wanted to cry out his dismay as the uncomfortably silenced turned to chuckles. Even Lin Hai who had been serene throughout the meeting raised an arm to cover his face behind the sleeve to hide his laughter. Plum of the Imperial Garden. It might sound innocent as Imperial Garden was another name for the harem while plum blossom was the name for the women of the harem. But plum was another thing. It was another way of saying chubby.

From this day forth his official name was the chubby of the Imperial harem! What kind of name was that?!

*****

Di Xúe was satisfied with step one of his plan. He looked over at the Lin Hai who had pulled himself together from his amusement of the incident in the throne room.

"Did you have to name him Mei yu Huayuán, honored Huángdi?" asked Lin Hai. Di Xúe held back a snort at the sound of the name and the recollection of the Ling's face.

"Is Ling Cao well?" asked Di Xúe.

"I have settled him down in a tearoom and given him plenty to eat."