Chapter 21

It took a few days before a gathering was arranged. The snow had once again fallen, making their life more difficult as the cold endangered those sleeping in the street. Yecao Cao spent a large amount of money on blankets for the refugees. Fortunately, the snow did not last long as the warm spring breeze returned to melt it away but he prayed that it was the last snow the heaven's sent this year.

Many of the sects had gone their separate way to hunt demons but they soon came back to give reports. Yecao Cao entered the room with Lin Hai only to immediately turn around at the sight. Lin Hai grabbed onto his arm and dragged him into the hall filled with shouting and dramatic pointing.

"Our Cao sect has successfully eradicated over a hundred Egui!"

"Such an accomplishment, we of Zhongli sect had to clean up after your rampage."

"You!"

Yecao Cao grimaced as he watched the sects brag about their accomplishments but they all seem to miss the point. "How many Yaoguai sect members have you killed?"

The room fell into silence when Yecao Cao's question sounded. Eyes darted all over the room before landing on Yecao Cao who looked utterly unimpressed.

"You, pretentious! How dare you-" Began a tiny older man say who did not ware the outfit of a sect member. Yecao Cao could only assume this was San Jing. The governor of Sichuan.

"I am the Zhiji of Tian and if you do not want to answer to the Emperor of Tian I would suggest you shut your mouth. Now, how many Mo have you killed? After all, you did come here to hunt demons not Egui. Have any of you fought Hei Yaoshi?" Yecao Cao said and narrowed his eyes when the cultivators turned away from him.

"The demons must have escaped already. There is none!" shouted a young disciple with an arrogant look on his face. He wore the yellow colors of the Lu Sect and Lu Gang's displeased frown which silenced the disciple provided further evidence of him being of the Lu Sect.

"We have thousands of witness in the city telling stories of demons. Are you all claiming they were merely hearsay?" asked Yecao Cao impatiently. "Have any of you actually fought the demons?"

"We fought some when we first arrived but the rest of the time was spend to get rid of the waves of Egui coming from the villages," Lu Gang admitted and Yecao Cao grimaced. His earlier assumption that this was a strategic maneuver is turning out to be correct.

"This is clearly what they have planned. They are sending out Egui to wear us down before cutting off our heads," said Yecao Cao and did not wait for the other's to argue. "Have any supplies from Zhong arrived yet?"

"No, and just as you predicted. The message from Zhong claims they already sent supplies but tthey were ambushed and taken by the demons. They are adamant they don't have any more to offer," Lin Hai sighed while he frowned as a messenger rushed in with a letter to Yecao Cao.

"Your brother sent you this. I have awaited for hours to deliver it to you," complaint the messenger and Yecao Cao threw him some coins only to silence him as he opened the letter to read.

"Bad news?" asked Lu Gang and Yecao Cao chuckled grimly.

"Not quite. My brother have bought more supplies to send to Sichuan."

"From where?"

"Zhong."

"..."

No one dare speak the words but it was witten all over their faces. The Zhong Empire sure had some guts to claim that they had no supplies and then sell theirs to merchants.

"They should arrive in a few days, but I would prefer if someone rushed to meet them. We do not want to lose another batch of supplies from Zhong," Yecao Cao said with clear irony in his voice and all muttered in agreement. Lu Gang volunteered to meet up with them and escort them to Sichuan.