Chapter 18

Yecao Cao let out a loud sneeze and rubbed his itching nose. Lin Hai was quick to give him a handkerchief and looking at him with a worried expression.

"No need to look so distraught, I am fine. Just spring allergies," said Yecao Cao and watched the budding trees. The demons had been sure to attack at an advantageous time. The snow has melted leaving the paths clear and the grass had started to become greener while the rivers had started flowing again signaling that the spring had arrived.

"You should be in the capital resting, not on the road to a war-torn city," sighed Lin Hai and Yecao Cao agreed with him though he did not utter such a sentiment if only to avoid looking like a child.

"Some time on the road will do me some good," muttered Yecao Cao and Lin Hai chuckled.

"Did your brother say that?"

"Is it that obvious?"

The wagon suddenly came to a halt and both Yecao Cao and Lin Hai looked bemused. "Have we arrived?" asked Yecao Cao and tried to move the bamboo curtains. Lin Hai pulled him back putting his finger to his lips.

It was too quiet. Only the horses neighed restlessly. Then something hit Yecao Cao's nose. Smoke. A lot of it and... He covered his nose when the disgusting scent reached him. He wanted to throw up but refused to do so as he exited to see what was going on. Lin Hai who was pale as newly fallen snow followed suit.

Zhang Xia came riding towards them with a grim face. "What has happened, Zhang Xia?" asked Lin Hai with a trembling voice. Yecao Cao could see his stiff posture and could only assume that he has a clue. Though he has never smelled it before but he was fairly sure that this was the stench of burned bodies.

"A village up ahead, it has been attacked."

"Any survivors?" Lin Hai asked.

"Not as far as we can see," the Zhang Xia replied.

"We should search fo-"

"We don't have time," said Yecao Cao and Zhang Xia gave him an annoyed expression. "The army needs these supplies and we cannot delay."

Yecao Cao sighed as Lin Hai did not seem to want to leave without looking for survivors. He kept peering at Yecao Cao with the eyes of a puppy. "Fine, I'll stay and look for survivors."

Lin Hai looked distraught," I cannot leave you here."

"If you want to search for the survivors then you will."

"I can-"

"No, one of us has to go to Sichuan and pull the city together so the supplies can be set up. You are the one with connections to the San family. That is your task. Mine comes later so it is only natural that I would be the one to stay behind," Yecao Cao said and looked at the village. The houses had been burned and bodies littered the streets. This would take time.

"I can leave a few men behind," said Zhang Xia who seemed to have a complicated look on his face. The man was clearly impressed by Yecao Cao's grit.

"No, all the soldiers are needed to protect the supplies. That is our priority. I will take my own four men to protect me," Yecao Cao said and nodded two the An twins and the two former pirates who had followed to guard him. They nodded and moved to take out supplies and horses.

"We can spare a smaller wagon though," Lin Hai muttered and signaled the soldiers to arrange for it," Take any supplies or people you can find and get them to the city."

Yecao Cao nodded and said his farewells as he was left behind in the middle of hostile lands. Every instinct told him that this was insanity but if this was what he had to do to get the Shaofu to move on then so be it.