Chapter 9

Colours flashed in the Imperial Garden as the dancers moved with grace and beauty. All three of the Emperor's Fus moved gently as the wind while the guests marveled at their skills. The weather had been unusually warm for autumn and the Chrysanthemum was in full bloom. They decorated the banquet and was served as a tea to the guests, celebrating the autumn.

Di Xúe tried to avoid the Guang Lu Xun, minister of household, who had made it his life duty to pester him about choosing an Empress. Especially after Di Xúe announced his Zhiji. A male lover would normally not be considered a momentous occasion but for the Guang Lu Xun, whose duty was to take care of the Imperial family and in this case encourage the Emperor to have children, it was a disaster.

With no heir to the throne and most relative disposed of, it was a disaster and signaled to the Zhong Empire that Tian was vulnerable.

Lin Hai had been unusually quiet since the little plum left and he always had a distant look on his face. Sometimes Di Xúe could see him face northeast, towards Dongzhou like he hoped to see a sign of the little plum's wellbeing.

Di Xúe had currently other problems as the three Fu, who had received appreciation for their grace, had gone over to their Emperor while pretending to be shy. Well, all except Fu Tían who stumbled when she was about to pour tea for the Emperor and accidentally poured tea all over Di Xúe instead who looked down on his ruined clothes. For a moment, he was grateful that the little plum wasn't here to see his disgraceful visage for he would most likely have teased him.

"This Fu is so clumsy. Forgive me, Huángdi!" Fu Tían sniveled as she tried to wipe off the tea to no avail. Her hands were slapped away by Fu Chun who looked distraught.

"How dare you? Aren't you suppose to be an Imperial Concubine. Where is your manner?"

Fu Chun turned the Emperor with a worried looked and wiped off his face."My dear husband, please tell me that you aren't hurt."

Many gave Fu Chun approving glances as they witness her affectionate expression towards the husband. All seemed to think that she was truly suited to be the future Empress but Di Xúe could only roll his eyes at the fools so easily deceived.

"Do you think that the Huángdi is so weak that he cannot handle hot tea?" snorted Di Xúe and Fu Chun froze for a moment when she heard Di Xúe's cold tone. Though she soon recovered and backed away with a humble bow.

"I would not dare. Forgive this Fu for worrying."

Di Xúe could see a disappointed grimace flash onto Fu Chun's face as she tried to figure out how to get herself out of this situation. Her sharp eyes turned to Fu Tián once more.

"You should be more careful in the future. You stumble all day creating a ruckus. Such a disgrace!"

All eyes turned to Fu Tián whose eyes were filled with tears. Her eyes fell onto the ground refusing to meet anyone's accusing gazes.

"Don't be silly. It is your duty as an elder sister to educate her. You have been with her for so long and have not even tried to get along with Xiao Tián. The disgrace is yours," Fu Zuánshi said with a prideful glance at Fu Chun who looked furious.

"Sister Zuánshi!" Fu Tián sniveled and hugged Fu Zuánshi's arm. Now all the approving eyes turned to Fu Zuánshi. Such grace! Her good relationship with the other Fu would most likely bring a peaceful harem for the future if she became the Empress.

Di Xúe wanted to snort as he saw all of their thoughts on their faces. There hasn't been one Imperial harem in previous generations that hadn't been plagued with dangerous intrigues. Being an Imperial Concubine was not only likely to shorten the life of the concubine but also assured that they would die horrifying deaths. Like Di Xúe's mother. This harem was no different.