Chapter 15

The frown deepened on Di Xúe's face as he watched the message from his uncle. That little plum survived an encounter with two cultivators. How? His uncle did not say, just that the Zhiji was kidnapped and rescued by himself and the Vans. How did any of them defeat cultivators?

Were the Vans so strong that they could measure up to cultivators? But they are presumingly merchants. Either commoners among the Vans are even stronger than the Sects here on Tiandi or these are no merchants. Neither was good news.

Or... Was Wang Yu Jían hiding something from him? His uncle had been a traveling hermit for quite some time. Was it possible that he had been taught to cultivate during his travels? It would not surprise Di Xúe but that only made him wish that his uncle would never become his enemy one day.

"Is there news from Dongzhou?" asked Lin Hai. He has been quiet for a while observing the Di Xúe's expression but apparently was not able to contain his worry.

"The Zhiji was kidnapped by pirates, he was rescued by the Wang Yu Jían and the Vans."

Lin Hai's eyes went wide," Is he harmed?"

"Yes, a wound to the abdomen. Apparently, the heavens do not grant him luck twice," Di Xúe pondered. He tried to ignore Lin Hai's piercing eyes but gave up with an eye roll after a while.

"He will be fine, just a bit sore."

That seemed to satisfy Lin Hai who let out a sigh," When is he coming home? We have far better doctors here in the capital."

"They are on their way. It took a few weeks to clean up the mess and for Xiao Mei to be able to travel but they are on their way," Di Xúe said before frowning at the last piece of information on the message. "And apparently, Xiao Mei was gracious enough to hire two of the pirates, Hong and Wei, to be his bodyguards."

"..."

"Xiao Mei hired two of his kidnappers to be his bodyguards?" Lin Hai asked with disbelief written upon his face.

"Yes."

"Is... Is he insane?"

"Apparently."

*****

A whine escaped Yecao Cao when he was hugged by his brother the moment he exited the wagon. His wound had still not healed and the throbbing pain reminded him of that. The Emperor and the Shaofu stood with dumbstruck faces as Yecao Ji ignored them completely to rush to his baby brother. They were even more shocked to see the thin and pale Yecao Cao. How hurt was he to become so thin in just a few days?

"It hurts, brother Ji!"

Yecao Ji glared at his younger brother,"I do not care!"

"Be careful with the boy," Wang Yu Jían chuckled as he exited the wagon with a grin. Yecao Ji turned to the Wang with a fierce glare and before anyone could react...

"Slap!"

Gasps rush through the servants at the shocking scene. A mere Tóng dared to slap the Wang! Uncle of the Emperor. Wang Yu Jían though did not even flinch and ignored his red cheek.

"I send you to protect my brother! Look at him!"

Everyone's expressions turned to shock at Yecao Ji's words. Including the Emperor who looked flabbergasted. Did they know each other?!

The only one who still had a neutral expression was Yecao Cao. "So he was a friend of yours?"

"Friend?! Hardly, he is a freeloader," Yecao Ji huffed.

"But you do know him!" everyone thought as they looked at the two men with complicated expressions. Yecao Ji looked enraged while the Wang looked with Yecao Ji with an expression reserved for the bedchamber.