Chapter 7

Yecao Cao did not even try to hide his yawn in front of the ministers who looked solemnly at him beside the Emperor. Lin Hai stood not far away from them while his eyes trailed on him almost like he was making sure that he behaved himself.

In front of the Emperor stood the jade prince Jían, Wang Yu Jían, with a slight smile on his face and serene eyes that followed the movements of the entire hall. He fanned himself while making few other moves. Though Wang Yu Jían's face was gentle, his powerful aura made the ministers cautious. That included the Emperor who looked far from pleased by his uncle's presence.

The only one unaffected was Yecao Cao who had just woken up from his rest and was in no shape to care about the heavy atmosphere in the room.

"Well, is anyone going to comment? Who dares attack my harbor? Taichang, Taipu, Dahong Lu! You three are from the Shu family. Have you gotten any news?"

The three ministers of ceremonies, coachmen and heralds stepped forward and bowed to the Emperor with trembling steps.

"We are not sure, Huángdi." They all said in unison. Yecao Cao rubbed his eyes as he watched the three. His former minister Taichang looked ready to faint. Taipu was in no better condition. The minister of Coachmen had rarely been summoned in front of the Emperor and was understandably nervous. Dahong Lu, the minister of heralds, was the calmest as he often talked to the Emperor and he was the one that delivered the message about the attack to the court.

"No information at all? Dahong Lu?"

"None, Huángdi."

Dahong Lu's voice was steady. So were his eyes. He was neither pale or nervous. He did not sweat or fidget. This man was telling the truth. Yecao Cao watched the other two closely. They showed signs of nervousness and fear but no signs of lying.

"How can that be? You should at least know if it was a force from Tiandi or if our neighbors across the sea of Qinghai have attacked us."

"The news is uncertain, Huángdi. There was a sudden mist from the sea and then came a large number of ships who attacked the harbor. We have still not heard about what kind of damage was inflicted or for that matter if anything was looted," the Dahong Lu informed and a rush of whispered streamed through the hall.

"The ships must be from Faraheim or Diamanas. We are the only ones with a decent armada in Tiandi!"

"You forget the four islands between Diamanas and Tiandi. They might-"

"Those are occupied by four different sects. The sects have no interests in mortal affairs!"

"No, but maybe some of the islands are occupied by pirates."

"Don't be foolish! The sects would never allow pirates to be so close to their home."

"Quiet!" The Emperor's fierce voice silenced all whispers but eyes were still darting around the room as they speculated on the incident.

"You said that there was a large number of ships which attacked the harbor?" Yecao Cao suddenly asked Dahong Lu. All stared at the pretentious Zhiji. He had no experience so why did he open his mouth? Dahong Lu had no intention of speculating and just answered the newly appointed Zhiji.

"Yes, they hid in the mist."

"Then how do you know that there was a large number of ships?"

Duhong Lu stared speechless at Yecao Cao who scratched his head with a dull expression on his face. The room immediately answered by sounding like a swarm of angry bees.

"Pretentious! You dare question the Duhong Lu?"

"Even a blind person can distinguish a large number of ships when they attack."