Chapter 11

The light fell through the broken roofs and walls, illuminating the once former building. The walls are now obsidian colored from all the scorch marks left after the fire. The dust had since long settled among the rumbled that made it hard for anything to move. Three people still tried as they pushed away the rubble to gain access to the building.

Wang Yu Jían inspected the walls while touching the broken parts of the building with a distant look on his face. "These were broken from the inside."

"Yeah, not something would see from an attack from the outside, " Shu Qiang said eagerly and Yecao Cao rolled his eyes.

"Obviously, and it's too much scorch marks for a simple explosion. Not to mentioned..." Yecao Cao stroked the floor and lifted the fingers to his nose. "Liejiú."

Fire spirit was a strong alcoholic liquid used in food, drink, to clean wounds and if you must, a way to easily start a fire as it is flammable. It was quite popular in Tiandi for its many uses and is quite cheap.

"I thought so. I still smell the Liejiú," Wang Yu muttered.

Liejiú would not be used by any professional to start a fire as it often left that strong, piercing smell even after the fire is put out. Any with at least basic knowledge would know that Liejiú could easily be distinguished and would use other substances with similar effects instead such as Lieyou, fire oil. Though expensive, it rarely leaves any traces.

"It's the same signs as the other storages. Residue of Liejiú," Yecao Cao said and Shu Qiang grimaced as he had in earlier buildings suggested that the storage was used to hold Liejiú but they have gone to visit four of the burned storages and all of them had the same signs of arson. This was no accident.

"Who could have done this?" Shu Qiang asked. "The vans."

"So simple. Why do you always turn your suspicion towards the Vans when this feels more like an inside job," Yecao Cao huffed and got a glare from the discontent Shu Qiang.

"I am not as sure... Whoever did this could not have set this up easily. To escape with all the goods and then put the place on fire," The Wang watched the street. "Someone must have seen something."

"Then why hasn't anyone said so," Shu Qiang muttered.

"Fear, maybe they just don't care. These were all government storages and was not open to the public. Most went to the army and left no impact on the civilians. Why stir up troubles when they have nothing to gain?" Yecao Cao shrugged.

"To be good citizens!" Shu Qiang said with a wronged expression and Yecao Cao chuckled.

"I think you overestimate the Shu family's popularity. You are rather infamous for so-called secretly raise taxes to gain more wealth or to steal supplies from the army."

"That was a long time ago!"

"That was two years ago."

Wang Yu Jían rubbed his temples as he heard the two youths bicker like old ladies. "Quiet, you two. Ling Qiang, you cannot expect the people to respect you when you haven't earned it back yet. Xiao Cao, do not blame the entirety of the Shu family for the act of a few."

Yecao Cao grimaced as the Wang called him by the nickname given to him by his family. He still disliked the Shu family though. They were caught and bribed the Emperor so that he would not punish a large portion of the family. The two brothers of the current governor were still executed though as they were the ones that have committed the crimes but that did not make the act of bribery go away.

Whatever his thoughts about the Shu family is, he still needed information. Yecao Cao looked over at the two men. Shu Qiang was out of the question. Wang Yu Jían looked handsome enough but those clothes... That left only him. Yecao Cao looked down upon his soft belly and let out a groan. Let's hope his charm was enough.