Chapter 8

"Um… Daichi?"

"What's wrong?"

Asahi sighed. He looked across the gym at their fellow first year worriedly. "There's something wrong with Suga."

"What? Why?"

"Look." Asahi stated.

He motioned to Sugawara, who was sitting on the bench, clutching his waist, bending in what seemed to be pain. Daichi immediately handed the ball he was holding to another teammate and rushed over. Asahi trailed behind, worried. "Suga?"

"Hm?"

"Are you okay? What hurts?"

"I'm fine Dai. Just a little stomach ache." Sugawara smiled warmly at Daichi. "That's all."

"I can ask coach if he can give you some pain meds or something."

"I'm fine, really." Sugawara stood and smiled. "Come on, let's play."

"Um…" Daichi tried to read Sugawara. It was harder than he thought. "Okay. Just be careful."

"Of course!" Sugawara rushed over to the rest of the team, smiling. He seemed to snap out of his trance of being in pain. Daichi sighed.

"Hey Asahi?"

"Yes?"

"Can you keep an eye on him with me? There's something off."

"Of course. I think I can catch him if something really bad happens." Asahi rubbed the back of his neck again. "Pay attention to his eyes more often if you get confused."

"Confused?"

"Yeah. Like not being able to read him." Asahi walked to the others slowly and started talking.

Daichi sighed and followed him, his worry still very apparent.

The coach yelled out for everyone to line up for drills and had Sugawara setting for the second half, the only other setter for the first half. Everyone kept having to speed up and the temperature in the gym started to rise gradually.

Daichi eyed Sugawara and furrowed his brows. The heat seemed to be getting to everyone but Sugawara kept blinking and flinching when the coach would yell out.

And then it happened.

Luckily, Asahi was towards the front of the line and caught Sugawara as he collapsed, crying out and shaking. Ukai dropped down from his spot behind the net, hurrying down beside the two boys. Daichi hurried to the front of the line and bent down.

"Suga? Suga what's happening? What's wrong?"

"M-my head!"

"Your head?" Ukai questioned. Sugawara nodded, crying loudly. Ukai sighed and motioned for someone to come closer. "Get me a wet cloth."

The teammate ran off. Sugawara covered his ears, shaking and crying loudly. His eyes were shut tight, shaky breaths emitting from his mouth. Daichi and Asahi both shared a scared glance.

The teammate returned with the wet cloth and handed it to Ukai. He pressed it to the shaking male's forehead and tried to calm him down. Not the best thing for a man like him to do.

Daichi held him, stroking his hair and making soft shushing noises. "Suga, what's wrong?"

"I-It's bright… and I-loud…" Sugawara cried louder and kept shaking.

"We need to get him to a hospital if he's like this." Someone said quickly. Ukai nodded.

"Someone call an ambulance and hand me the phone."