Chapter 18

Daichi opened his night stand drawer and paused. Where was his key?

Daichi started looking around the room, concerned. Why did he have to lose crap all the time? He started moving things around, concerned. He was going to get lectured for losing a key that he needed. That he supposed to protect.

Daichi sighed, just accepting it. Maybe he'd left it on the counter in the bathroom. Yeah. That was it.

He walked into the hallway and tested the door knob. He was met with a stiff handle and sighed. So he actually lost the key. Great. He bent down and checked to see if the light was on only to be met by darkness.

Daichi really needed to make sure that he hadn't left the key in there on accident. "Mom! I need the key to the bathroom!"

Daichi's mother walked to her son and handed it to him. "Why? Where is Suga?"

"I don't know… he might have gotten up to go across the street to Asahi. I'm sure he's alright."

"Okay." She walked off again.

Daichi unlocked the door before slipping the key into his pocket. He opened the door and heard fabric slide across the floor. His eyes darted down to the towels and then to the male on the floor. An ear piercing scream hit the silent morning air and immediately rushed footsteps came up the stairs. "MOM! DAD!"

"Daichi?! What's wrong?!" His mother urged. Daichi pointed into the bathroom where Sugawara laid, a long pool of blood next to the boy. Daichi's mother hurried into the bathroom and pulled out her phone. Daichi's father saw and held him, turning him away. "He has a pulse. It's alright."

Daichi breathed deeply, freaking out. Things like this weren't supposed to happen. Slowly, he bent down and brushed away Sugawara's hair. "Suga…"

"Daichi, can you lift him up?"

"Y-yes ma'am." Daichi put an arm under Sugawara's back and eased him up Sugawara was completely limp. He didn't seem to be breathing. What was with how ragged his chest moved though? "I'm trying something."

"Careful."

"Of course." Daichi pushed on Sugawara's chest, directly in the middle. Sugawara coughed and more blood poured from his mouth. Daichi bit back another cry, not wanting to disturb the call with the ambulance.

Daichi's father bent down and wiped away some of the blood on Sugawara's face. Daichi just stroked Sugawara's hair with worry. What had happened that made blood come out of the usual smile filled mouth?

****

Daichi looked up as Asahi walked in. The brunette was holding a book and a jacket, a frown pulling on his lips. "Hey."

"Um… what exactly happened to him?"

"He threw up blood last night. We found him this morning." Daichi stated. He turned his head to the side and continued to stroke Sugawara's hair.

Asahi eyed the mask over Sugawara's mouth and nose, plus the feeding tube in his nose. "Why was he throwing up blood?"

"They don't know yet. They'll take scans when he wakes up." Shinju answered, peering up from her laptop. "They think something in his throat tore though."

"In his throat?!"

Daichi nodded. He placed his forehead against Sugawara's bony shoulder. "God…"

Asahi sat down. "Where is his mom?"

"At her job."

"Wait why? Wouldn't she be here if her son threw up blood?!"

"No. She said she'd come in the evening. But you can hear laughing in the background." Daichi whispered. It sounded like he was going to cry, his voice filled with worry. Sugawara's arm moved slightly and he held that hand, bringing it up to his lips. "She doesn't even care."

Sugawara moved again, inhaling deeply before going into a fit of coughing. His eyes shot open and he reached up, tearing the mask off. Everyone watched in horror as blood poured from his mouth again. Shinju put her laptop down and ran out of the room.

Daichi got off of the bed and watched. Doctors came in and took Sugawara away, talking in rushed tones. What the hell was happening?

****

"Sir, what exactly happened to Sugawara?" Shinju asked anxiously.

The doctor stopped checking Suga's vitals for a moment. He looked down at the teenager and then at the other two boys. "Are you two alright with me saying this?"

"Yes, it's okay. Is it okay with you Asahi?"

"It's okay."

"Alright." He took in a deep breath. "I assume all of you know about his bulimia. Well he's still been throwing up. Because of the forceful vomiting he tore his esophagus. It caused internal bleeding, which got into his lungs. It seems as if it's been bleeding for a while as well. We had to open up his neck to stop it from continuing to bleed. Since there was a clot in his lungs from the blood we had to open up his chest and remove it."

"How long will it take to heal?" Shinju questioned.

"Up to eight weeks. His chest will still hurt and feel tight afterwards for two months." He sighed. "We will have to keep him here for a week, depending on how fast the medicines help his lungs."

"Alright thank you." She stood up and stretched. "Come on you two. Let's get something for you to eat. Suga can't exactly eat right now."

"Before you leave, please remember that he won't be able to breathe well and will have trouble talking."

"Of course." She lead the two conscious teenagers out and they got into her car. "Let it out you two." Instantly both boys began to cry. She sighed and leaned her head back. "I know it's hard. I'm sorry boys."

"Mom he could have died…"

"Baby I know… we're going to get him some help. Real help." She started the car. "We're going to do our research."

"Y-yes ma'am."

Asahi sniffed, nodding. "I want to help too."

"That's great sweetheart." She turned a corner. "I talked to his mother earlier and basically we're keeping him. He's not going to be adopted by us of course but he's staying in our home. His cousin is staying at Sugawara's mother's home. I'll go back to his home and get his things."

"Does his mom really not want him there?" Daichi questioned.

"No. She's letting us take care of him."

"That's so sad…" Asahi whispered. Daichi looked back and patted the brunette's knee.

"It's okay. We're all going to take care of Suga."

"Yeah."

"Alright let's just clear our mind of all of this for a bit. Time for some food." She turned and pressed her lips to Daichi's temple. Like she had done when he was younger. Motherly love was warming, just like Daichi had been taught when he was little to be. Warming.

He would warm Sugawara as best as he could, be it physical or emotional. He just wanted Sugawara to be okay again.

LOL. Motherly love. I seriously write about shit I don't know about. The joke is that my mom doesn't love me. Yes I'm being completely serious.