Chapter 3

Sunday afternoon: Daichi's POV

'Boring today. Nothing but the noise of kid screaming and splashing everywhere. Always so noisy on weekends.' The microwave dinged in the lifeguard office. Well at least I was on break right now and could eat. I grabbed my little packed lunch and sat down, eating silently when there was a little knock on the door. I glanced up and nearly choked when I saw Suga standing there, a little kid holding his hand and crying. Suga blushed before clearing his throat.

"Uhm, she scraped her knee and needs a bandage.." He mumbled before carefully picking the little girl up. The dress cover-up she wore was soaked and her knee had some blood on it, probably from falling on the concrete. I pulled out a chair, Suga sitting down with the girl hanging onto him while I got some gloves and a medical kit. The girl cried and screamed when I had to clean the scratch with an alcohol wipe which made me feel awful.

I focused on trying to work as quickly and carefully as possible before noticing that the crying stopped. I glanced up to see Suga holding her closer, whispering stuff to her with a small smile. Whatever it was, it was distracting her and gave me time to put a bandage and some medicine on the cut.

"There. All done." I said, standing up and disposing of the gloves. 

"See? All done sweetheart." Suga said in a calm and soothing voice. The girl sniffled with a nod, holding onto him tightly with her face buried in his chest, peaking out ever so slightly at me. "Heh.. thanks.."

"No problem. So, you did decide to come down and see me huh?" I teased, Suga blushing before looking back at the girl.

"W-well, I, uh... I mean I came to bring her down to the pool but.. I suppose, I came to see you too..?" He stuttered a bit embarrassed. 'Dammit he's so cute.. I was kidding! He's with a kid of course I assumed he was here to take her swimming!' 

"O-oh, I see. So uh, who's this little one?" I asked, trying to change the subject as I put the medical kit away and crouched by the chair. The girl stared at me curiously, Suga glancing down at her before smiling faintly.

"Unfortunately, I don't know her name.. She won't tell anyone, she won't even talk."

"Is she, you know, yours?? Or did you find her lost here at the pool?"

"Oh, sorry I probably should've told you the other night at dinner! Next to being a school teacher, I do foster care. And I took in this little one."

I smiled softly, nodding as I got up again. Suga just seemed to have to much of a good heart. I grabbed a piece of candy from the cupboard and gave it to the girl. She distractingly ate it while gripping onto Suga. I watched with a small smile before noticing Suga was staring at me.

"Enjoying the sight?" I teased, Suga quickly looking up with a red face.

"H-huh!? S-sorry I just, I was, uh, spacing out!" I laughed, pulling a chair up and sitting next to him.

"I was kidding. So, what's going to happen with this little one while you're at work?"

"Oh, well since I work at a daycare, she gets to come."

"I see. Hey, tomorrow, why don't I walk with you two to work?"

Sugawara's POV

The thought of walking with Daichi to work made me blush for some reason. It wasn't helping he was sitting so close while wearing swim trunks and a tight fitting white tank top.

"O-oh, you don't have to. I mean, don't you have other things to do before work??"

"Not much. We can stop and get coffee on the way?"

I smiled slightly, finally agreeing. Daichi grinned and got up, helping me up since I was holding the little girl.

"Great. I've got to go out there and rotate. I'll stop by your place tomorrow morning, at 7 am?"

I nodded shyly and walked out with him. Daichi walked off to another guard chair, taking a seat as the rest of the lifeguards rotated chairs. I asked the little girl if she'd like to head home for lunch to which she nodded, so I took her home to change and eat. 

Time skip to the next morning: Sugawara's POV

"C'mon sweetheart, you gotta get up." I said softly, gently shaking the little girl's shoulder. She looked at me half awake before grabbing her blanket and pulling it over her head. I chuckled slightly, continuing to try and wake her gently when the doorbell rang. I checked my watch with a hum. '7 am, must be Daichi.'

Once I opened the door, Daichi stood there with a smile, already in his uniform. I couldn't help but stare a moment before welcoming him in.

"Morning. Sorry, the little one has decided she doesn't like mornings.. I've been trying to coax her out of bed for nearly 20 minutes!" Daichi nodded before smiling, setting his hat down.

"Really? Well, my dad used to get me out of bed only one way. Mind if I try?" I tilted my head curiously but nodded. We had to get going soon so, as long as it didn't hurt or scare the girl I was willing to try anything. I lead Daichi up to the little guest room where either guests or any foster kids I had would stay. He walked over to the bed, gently trying what I did before sighing. He carefully pulled the blankets off and picked the girl up. He placed her on his shoulder and moved a bit slowly so the girl would realize she was high up. 

She opened her eyes curiously, grabbing onto Daichi's hair. Once she seemed more awake and aware, Daichi started walking faster around the room, soon evolving it into a bit of a gallop. The girl squealed and giggled, smiling and laughing with delight. After a few moments, Daichi stopped and set the girl onto the ground.

"We up now?" He asked, the girl smiling brightly with a nod. I watched in amusement before walking over.

"Worked like a charm. C'mon sweetheart time to get changed and then we gotta go. Daichi, mind waiting downstairs??" Daichi shook his head and walked out, closing the door behind him. I helped the girl change into a frilly dress and comb her hair and teeth. Once she was all dressed, I carried her downstairs where Daichi waited for us.

Time Skip to the coffee shop: Daichi's POV

Suga and I talked the whole walk to the local cafe, taking turns carrying the little girl since every 5 minutes she'd pull away from whoever was carrying her and do little grabby hands to the other. Once at the cafe, Suga and I just ordered coffees, the little girl taking an interest at the muffins in the display cases. I smiled faintly, ordering one for her and paying for all our things. 

"Huh? Oh, Daichi you don't have to pay!" Suga said a bit alarmed. I laughed slightly, handing the muffin to the girl.

"It's no problem, really. Now come on, lets get going. Don't want those kids waiting huh?" I said with a smile, walking to the door and holding it open for Suga. He blushed and followed me down the sidewalk towards the school. Once we reached the pathway where I had to stop and start work, Suga took my empty cup and put it with his to toss on the way to the bus stop. The little girl had long finished her muffin and decided to take a mid-morning nap on Suga.

"Guess this is where we part ways for now. I uh, will, see you after work?" I said, smiling slightly and adjusting my shirt the best I could. Suga walked closer, setting the cups down a moment before reaching his free hand up. He fixed my shirt collar for me with a tiny blush and nod. He leaned back down to pick the cups up and began to turn off to go get the rest of the kids. I smiled to myself while watching him go when he suddenly turned back around. He quickly walked up to me, standing on his tip-toes and pressing a kiss onto my cheek. Before I could say anything, he darted off towards the bus stop with his head down. I stood there dumbfounded before looking down at my shoes with a red face and the stupidest and biggest grin I've ever had.