Chapter 21

Sugawara's POV
"Daichi, can't we go home.. I'm tired."

"We're almost there, here I'll carry you." I sighed as my boyfriend picked me up. It was kind of embarrassing since we were in public but I was to tired and my legs feel like they didn't work at all. I accepted the free ride and just held onto his shirt, letting my face nuzzle closer to his chest while he carried me, my eyes closing.

I had no idea where Daichi was trying to take me. We were in the middle of nowhere in a forest and we were walking for what felt like forever since we parked the car. The scenery was nice I suppose but I was ready to go back to bed. My consciousness started to drift off until Daichi kissed my forehead lightly.

"We're here baby.." I turned my head, widening my eyes to see we were at a quaint little cabin. I looked up at Daichi with a curious look.

"What're we doing here?"

"We are getting you out of the house and somewhere nice for a few days."

"What? I didn't pack anything!"

"Don't worry, I did for you."

"...When did you do that??"

"When you were showering." He explained, setting me down and opening the door with a small key in his pocket. I looked around, kind of loving it. I always enjoyed the thought of living in a cabin-like home, but of course it'd be to far from my workplace and not practical for my lifestyle. But, if we had this place for a few days, may as well make the best of it.

Daichi showed me around, holding my hand when I'd scrunch my nose from the dust and dirt that's settled in. Definitely going to need a cleaning before I'd consider living in here a few days. Daichi kissed my temple and headed to the door.

"I'm going to go get our things from the car."

"Huh? But that walk was forever!"

"It was only about 5 minutes. I won't be long." He said, making me blush from embarrassment. Oh, I didn't realize it was such a short walk. I nodded as Daichi left, leaving me in the cabin. Well, I really didn't feel like I had the energy, but I also wasn't about to live in a messy cabin. So I rummaged around till I found some towels and cleaning supplies left behind.

It had only been a few minutes, but I was making good progress until I heard scratches on the ground. I followed the noise, worried an animal might've wandered in and gotten itself stuck on some of the old curtains or under a piece of furniture or something. I gasped when I saw a fox squeaking with it's leg trapped under a fallen table and broken glass around it.

"Oh! Uh, okay.. Hey it's okay, I'm not gonna hurt you." I said, slowly lowering the broom in my hand and walking over slowly. The fox thrashed, squealing loudly when that only resulted in glass digging into it's paws. I winced, imagining that must really hurt so I tried to be fast getting the table up. The fox scrambled away but ended up making it no further than a few feet before collapsing, blood trailing it and glass still in it's paw pads.

I panicked, wanting to help but also really not trying to get bitten. I looked around, grabbing an old blanket and slowly approaching before tossing it over the fox's head, covering it's eyes. Don't ask me I wasn't a wildlife expert but I remember I saw somewhere that animals calm down if you block their vision.. Guess it worked. The fox laid still, panting as I was quick and walked over. Apologizing repeatedly while pulling the glass shards from it's paws. Once I was sure all the glass was out, I stood back and took the blanket with me.

The fox scrambled to its feet, limping while staring at me. I was almost relieved when the fox decided to lay down and lick his wounds, but it made sure to keep its eye on me. I didn't want to scare it, so I made slow movements and got to work cleaning up the blood and glass. Once I was finished, I glanced at the fox who was still busy tending its wounds and watching me. I sat down and looked back at it with a small smile.

"Feel better? I wish there was a vet out here I could get you to quickly." I said to the fox who just stared. Maybe it was hungry, was there even food in this place? I don't think I could go out and hunt a mouse for the fox, no matter how hard I would try.

"Alright... I'm gonna walk by you. Please don't bite my ankle.." I slowly stood up and took slow steps, watching the fox before making it past and going back down the stairs to the kitchen area. I opened the fridge, surprised to see there was some actual food but no meats. Maybe some berries in here will do? The container was sealed and looked relatively fresh. Wonder if Daichi stocked a little food before we arrived.

I took the berries upstairs and carefully moved back to my previous spot, the fox watching me with interest when I set some of the berries out in front of it. The fox scooted a little bit, eating what I laid down. Looking at me for more.

"Hungry huh? Wonder how long you've been trapped in here." I said, giving the fox more food until it was full. The fox left a little bit of a mess, berry staining the flooring but I could take care of that later. My surprise was when the fox scooted close enough to rest its head on my leg. Could I touch it...?? I kept slow movements but eventually rested my hand on the top of its head, petting gently as the fox fell asleep.

"Suga, I'm back. I got the-... what's that?"

"A new friend."