9. Never Die in the Nether

di·chot·o·my
/dīˈkädəmē/

noun

"a rigid dichotomy between science and mysticism"

a division or contrast between two things that are or are represented as being opposed or entirely different.

〘␛〙

I felt the sun beating against my face harshly, never feeling such heat before. It was almost as if it wasn't the sun. I opened my eyes and noticed that I was propped up against a stone wall inside an underground ravine, lava and water alike respectively flowing into each other.

"Guys?" I called out, struggling to stand. "Dream? Sapnap?" I called the first two names that came to mind in my panicked state. Maybe they left to go get materials?

I started to wander, looking for any sign of them. I had seen a nether portal and frowned. They wouldn't leave without me, right? I walked closer and put my hand through. It felt like water, but also air. I pulled it back out and brushed it against my overalls.

"Guys!" I yelled again, not wanting to jump into the portal just yet. I looked through my inventory and had seen that the book and quills were missing. I cocked a brow and closed it. We can't go into each other's inventories. So why am I missing our communication books?

I suspected foul play from whoever had us trapped here. Maybe they want me to go through the portal? Could the boys be stuck in there?

More thoughts crawled into my mind as I started to second guess every idea and plan I made. What if I mess everything up? I took a deep breath and thought for a minute.

"BAD! ILLUMINA! GEORGE!" I called out as loud as I could. I heard groans, turning to my right and seeing a hoard of zombies. I pulled out my sword and held it steady.

As the undead approached, I took a couple steps back, feeling the cool obsidian on my back. Once I realized I had nowhere to go, I sighed and readied up. I bit my lip and pushed off of the hard rock, swinging wildly in an effort to keep them off my back until I found a good solution to this mess.

As I stopped focusing on my hits, I started to take more damage. I stacked so that I could have a height advantage on the zombies, the short-armed monsters grew annoyed as I took them out with ease.

I had defeated the zombies successfully, so I jumped off of the stack, bringing my health down to 5 hearts. I ran back to the portal and entered without even thinking. A blur of purple whizzed by my vision as I closed my fists around the handle of my sword tightly, impatiently waiting for whatever laid on the other side.

When the swirling feeling in my stomach stopped, I stepped out of the portal and got hit by a blast of heat almost immediately. It was sooooo hot. I looked out over the edge and frowned. Lava, lava and nothing else but lava.

I tried scouting the area for a fortress but didn't come across anything. I huffed and started in a random direction, hoping that I would find one soon. As I walked, I called out for the boys, never receiving an answer. My feet burned, head aching from lack of food. If only I had something to eat.

I had changed my direction about seven times before deciding to stick to just one, seeing as my chances were probably better that way. I then started to get confused and forgot where the portal was, sending me into a panic.

I played with the hem of my right sleeve nervously, not realizing that I didn't think this through. If I couldn't take care of myself, how was I supposed to take care of the boys? Maybe I was a bad leader.

A large obstacle in the near distance caught my attention, bringing me out of my negative thoughts. I looked up and saw a dark maroon wall from behind a large platform of netherrack. I started off by jogging, trying to see more of the wall. This turned into a full on sprint as I made my way to the fortress. When I had seen it, I cheered loudly, but my celebration was cut short by a growl.

A harsh rumbling shook the ground below me, I turned around, only to be met face to face with a ghast. My jaw dropped. Are you kidding me? I turned to sprint, but was too hungry to do so.

"Shit!" I yelled as I turned around to swing at the fireball that was sent my way, sending the flaming gas right back at it.

It then became a battle of toss and deflect. In the end, I was the victor. It only took diving behind netherrack walls, an intense amount of focus and a sword that was almost broken. I made my way to the fortress unbothered, stacking my way up to the top so I could jump over it.

When I landed, I looked around and grinned, ready to find the blaze spawner and collect blaze rods for the gang. But unfortunately, a wither skeleton had rounded the corner and made its way right towards me. I yelped and ran in the opposite direction, turning around to see the creature's whereabouts every so often.

I turned around once more to look at the creature, and when I did, I felt my foot hit nothing but air, sending me barreling downwards. I turned to look in front of me, and there I was. Falling straight for lava. I closed my eyes and covered my face, scared of what was to come.

But I never hit the lava. A gust of air whooshed past me and I felt cool air blowing against my skin. I moved my hands from my face and opened my eyes. My eyes caught the elytra first, and then his face.

The boy who saved my life. The one who I secretly had a crush on. It was him.

〘␛〙