16. Long Road Ahead

for·bear·ance
/fôrˈberəns,fərˈberəns/

noun

"forbearance from taking action"

patient self-control; restraint and tolerance.

〘␛〙

I was the first to wake up, my eyes catching all of my companions before sitting up and screaming. I suffered from a headache, most likely from crying yesterday and the way I woke with a start. My friends started waking up and they caught me checking their palms.

"What are you doing?" Illumina asked me. I stayed silent.

"Are you okay? What happened?" Sapnap questioned with concern.

"Talk to us, Mare..." Bad said, still scared from yesterday's turn of events. I felt my eyes gloss over with tears and yelled in frustration, not wanting to cry again. Am I really holding them back?

I walked away and fed the animals, showering them with love and affection, deciding to leave the boys alone. It's all my fault. Everything. I need to stay focused and get us out of here.

"Mare, if you need to take a break we can-"

"Now that we've had our fun, its time to get back on track. We need to find the stronghold today; tomorrow at the latest. Let's pack up and get moving. Dream, Illumina and George can take the mounts today." I nodded to all of them, avoiding their questioning looks.

The boys got their stuff ready and took the mounts they were assigned to. Sapnap and Bad talked while I crafted the Ender Eyes. Once I was done, I threw one, watching it head in the direction with an open field. I smiled and started trekking through the tall grass.

"So, Mare... what's going on?" Bad asked as he caught up with me, matching my fast pace. I held the Ender Eyes against my chest, calculating my response.

"Well, I'm trying to find the stronghold and get us out of here. What's going on with you?" I gave him a tight smile and turned forward again.

"No, I mean- why are you acting like this?"

"Like what, BBH?"

"Like you don't want to be around us!" He said in an exasperated way. I shook my head, deflecting the situation.

"Of course I want to be around you. We just need to get serious now. That's okay, right?" I asked, not caring if he agreed or not. He nodded sadly and slowed his pace so he could walk with Sapnap. I felt bad, but this was how things had to be.

Every so often, I would throw an eye and watch it soar through the sky, sprinting to catch it before it hit the ground. I was having fun with this little game of toss and catch.

I heard a pair of courage driven footsteps advancing towards me. I sighed quietly and prepared myself to be monotone and standoffish. As the two approached, I hardened my expression.

"Why won't you tell me what's wrong? Did I do something? Was it because I was holding you while we slept during our adventure?" George asked. I shook my head, not wanting to look at either one of them.

"It's not Bad, right? He's kinda still thinking it's him," Sapnap chimed in. Once again, I shook my head in dismissal.

"Then what is it? Why can't you tell us?" George pushed, not used to my mood being so down.