12. Speed Demon

ev·a·nes·cent
/ˌevəˈnes(ə)nt/

adjective

"a shimmering evanescent bubble"

soon passing out of sight, memory, or existence; quickly fading or disappearing.

〘␛〙

My body rocked side to side gently, a cool hand on my arm. I opened my eyes and focused on the wood plank wall in front of me. I looked out the window, seeing the sunlight shine through. Turning over, my eyes met with my best friend's.

"Lumi..." I mumbled out, my voice scratchy and throat dry.

"Hey sweets," he smiled and backed up, giving me space. I grinned and stretched, letting out a weird squeal. He just shook his head and glared playfully. "Let's go see the others." He said, grabbing my hands lightly to help me up off the bed. We left the treehouse and jumped off the top of it.

I jumped onto Illumina's back and wrapped my arms around his neck, my head resting on his shoulder. He chuckled and started walking, remembering that I told him that he would have to carry me if he woke me up early.

The entire way back to the campsite, we stayed in a comfortable silence, mostly because I was drifting in and out of sleep. When I opened my eyes for what felt like the millionth time, I was propped up against Sapnap. I rubbed my eyes and yawned.

"What's going on?" I asked as I looked around at all the boys.

"Well you and Illumina got to go on an adventure. And you and George got to go on an adventure. So we all think it would be fair if we got the same life-changing experience as well." Dream answered, a cheeky grin splayed across his face, half hidden behind the mask. I sighed and sat up straight.

"Fine, we can take turns. Today is Sapnap's adventure, I guess," I said with a nod. Bad and Dream agreed and I looked over to the ravenhead. "What do you wanna do today?"

"Can we ride pigs? Would that be okay with you?" He squealed in excitement at first, but his tone turned serious to ask the second question.

I nodded and sighed, hiding the grin that wanted to creep up into my face. It wouldn't hurt them, and I did ride them from time to time. It's not like I'm killing them.

"Alright, I just wanted to make sure because I know how you feel and I don't want to make you do something you aren't comfortable with," he said as we walked away from the group.

"Oh, I'm fine with it. Thanks for checking, though," I said while looking away from him and hoping he couldn't hear the slight pitch change in my voice.

He cared about how I felt and that sent butterflies to my stomach. He wants me to be comfortable and have a good time. Is this what it feels like to fall for someone? No, Mare! I haven't known him for that long and we should just stay as friends! We are friends, right?

I shook my head and focused back on the boy in front of me who was searching for a village to get carrots from. We wandered for hours until finally coming across one. When we got over to their farm, the crops weren't fully grown yet.

"Aw, what the hell, man!" Sapnap cried out. I frowned and sat down on the logs, my chin resting on my palms.

"Oh, look!" I yelled and pointed at a skeleton not too far off. I got out my bow and shot at it a couple times before watching it shatter into nothing but bones.

I ran over and grabbed the remains of the mob, turning it into bonemeal. I turned back to Sapnap with a wide grin and ran up to him, showing him what I had collected.

"Yes! Great thinking, Y/N!" He cheered and split it equally between the two of us. We walked over to the little village's farm, checking to see which carrots had been almost done growing.

We found the largest root, using the bonemeal and watching it instantly bloom into an array of orange and bright green. Pulling at the long green leafs, the carrots slipped out of the dirt almost perfectly.

"I have a rod," Sapnap raid as he put his carrot on the hook of it.

"So do I," I nodded and followed his motions. "Uh... Don't we need saddles?"

I glanced over at Sapnap and he winked, two of them in his hands.

"Where the hell did you get those!" I jumped up and down with excitement.

"It's a secret, I can't tell you. Unless you beat me in a race with the pigs!" He chuckled and set off to find some, sprinting as fast as he could.

I couldn't keep up, his legs were longer than mine and he had stamina for days it seems. He was so fast, almost inhuman. I huffed when I realized he was already on a pig.

"You're an ass!" I laughed before realizing he placed a saddle on a pig for me. I hopped onto it and smiled.

"A cute ass," Sapnap snickered before leading the pig away from me. "Ready to race?"

"Born ready!"

We both started on the same block, well, as close to the same block. It was hard to make the pigs stop moving for long enough. After minutes of trying to even the pigs out, we gave up and decided to just start.

"On your marks," I smiled, my hand ready to grip the rod.

"Get set," Sapnap said, almost inaudible to me.

"GO!" I yelled a little early as to catch him off guard. It seems he already planned on cheating, because the early start barely worked.

We agreed on racing back to where the boys stayed, first one there would win the race. I was determined to beat Sapnap, wanting to prove something to him. I wasn't sure what, but I wanted to.

We swerved between trees, crossed rivers, went up small hills, all until we could see the others in our vision. I smirked and turned to the boy with black hair.

"You can give up now ya know! Your pig looks pretty tired!" I snickered.

"Yeah, yours looks like it's gonna pass out any second!"

"Bakon would never!" I scoffed at his remark and gave my mount some encouragement. Just as I thought I was going to take first place, Sapnap's pig clutched and boosted itself forward just in time.

"You're a cheater!" I shouted as I hopped off the pig and ran up to Sapnap. He started laughing as I playfully punched him.

After Sapnap had taken my beating, I gave the rest of the gang a wave once getting into their eyesight.

"Heya, nerds!" I giggled as I fed the pig the carrot that it longed for. Everyone greeted me back, except for a certain blond.

"It's my turn!" Dream didn't even let me say goodbye to the others as he dragged me off into the opposite direction that Sapnap and I just came from.

〘␛〙