11. Old Time's Sake

re·cess
/ˈrēˌses,rəˈses/

noun

"talks resumed after a month's recess"

(of formal proceedings) be temporarily suspended.

〘␛〙

The stars shone brightly in the overworld, the dark sky a perfect matte background. Solace and Night were sleeping, not being awoken by our return. I smiled at the two animals, feeling someone stand beside me.

"Hey," the voice whispered.

"Hi, Lumi," I turned to my best friend with a grin.

"I know I've been really harsh on everyone lately, especially you, but I just really want us all to get out safely and go home. It's been really stressful here." He admitted to me. I nodded in understanding, knowing why he was acting so cold recently.

"I get it, I want to go home just as bad as the rest of you guys, if not more. But look on the bright side, we're going on fun adventures and becoming closer friends. When we escape, we'll all be the best of friends!" I hugged his arm and rested my head on his shoulder. He stayed silent, but I knew he was smiling.

"What would I do without you, Y/N?"

"Probably go crazy. Just a guess." I joked. He chuckled and rested his head on top of mine.

"We should venture out into the forest and make a treehouse to stay in for the night," I whispered in his ear. He turned to look at me, wanting to confirm that what he heard was real.

"What about the others-"

"It'll be fine. They're trying to sleep, the animals are already out. Please? For old time's sake?" I looked up at him with pleading eyes, my lips curling into a pout. He took a deep breath and nodded reluctantly.

"Fine, but we return bright and early in the morning." He warned as we started to walk towards the wooded area.

"Only if you catch me!" I laughed and shoved him, taking off fast. He broke out into a sprint after me.

I weaved through the trees, finding one with leaf blocks low enough to climb. I eventually advanced to taller trees, watching Illumina look relentlessly on the ground. I snickered and kept jumping from tree to tree, my eyes never leaving him.

"Where are you- OOF!" He yelped as I jumped onto his back and took us both to the ground. I bursted out laughing hard as he looked over and realized it was just me.

"I almost stabbed you!" He said, still in shock. I just winked and got up, helping him to his feet afterwards.

"You're fine. Let's go." I grabbed his hand and walked, pulling him along behind me.

"What should we make our treehouse out of?" I pondered as I took a look at all the logs we could choose from.

"Dark. It'll be harder to see in the night." Illumina said, taking me over to a dark oak tree. I nodded and we started to collect the logs together. Once we figured we had enough, we scaled a tree and built a crafting table.

We made doors and planks, deciding to keep some of the logs as exterior design. We built the treehouse and grinned.

"I'll go collect sand and food so we can have windows and dinner, you get enough cobblestone and coal for three furnaces." Illumina said. I nodded and hopped down, running towards a mountainside I had seen. Illumina ran in the opposite direction, a lake being nearby.