Chapter 12

Kouen Island. This was the island she had been born and raised on for the past seven years. This was the first place Ashnah had seen the beautiful sceneries of the otome game.

The island was no ordinary place, because this was where the First Magic Beast King had first been born; then another fact was land had separated from the Magic Beasts' Territory thousands of years ago due to a devastating earthquake; and it was known as the 'place of no magic'.

It was known as the place of no magic because of its lacking of mana and one could only use little to none of his/her magical power on the land, depending on how much mana one possessed. And even when one could use that small amount of magical power, it would be very stressful on the human's body, especially if one was not used to it. There were whispers around the island that had said that it was the curse of the First Magical Beast King.

Kouen Island was located a short distance off the coast of Emphraim Kingdom main land. It was connected to main land by a high, long, wide, sturdy bridge. The bridge known as Non's Bridge was a tourist attraction.

The Morley Family's carriage had just crossed this bridge.

Gazing out the window of the carriage, Ashnah sensed the complete shift in atmosphere when they had finally crossed. The air was extremely abundant and heavy with mana.

Witnessing his daughter great interest in Halcyone City, he commented. "It looks even more beautiful in the day. And you could see the people out in the streets using their magical powers in elaborate ways. We could arrange to leave in the afternoon of tomorrow if you want to see some of it's sites."

"Can we, really?" The child asked.

Anzor smiled, "of course we can, only if its okay with..." He glanced over to Ellen who was sitting next to Ashnah.

Ellen giggled, gently tapping her daughter on the tip of the nose with her index finger. "We can, if you get up early in the morning."

"Then it's a done deal." Ashnah said.

Soon, they had arrived to Queen Milcah. It was a luxurious hotel that generally only the high ranking nobles and the rich could afford to stay at. They had been shown to Anzor's private suite on the highest floor of the establishment. The suite was laid out like an immense apartment with three bedrooms that each contained their own bathrooms, a study, a common room area, a dining area and a kitchen all in a Victorian era style.

Several maids and butlers had even been there to serve them, but they had quickly been sent away.

Sitting in the chair in front of the bureau with a mirror attached to it, Ellen combed Ashnah's hair. They were already in their nightdresses after a nice hot relaxing bath. "Ash, remember for tomorrow that you cannot let go of my hand. Halcyone is extremely different and very dangerous compared to Misty Village. You cannot just talk to strangers or accept anything from them." Her hands trembled a bit as she combed the last portion of Ashnah's hair, thinking about all the terrible and possible dangers that could harm her daughter.

"You do not have to worry, mommy. I'll be by your side for the whole time." She added, "plus daddy will be with us."

"Anzor, hmm." Ellen said in thought.

Ashnah turned her head, looking up at her mother. She asked. "Is something wrong?"

With Anzor at their side, Ellen did not know if it would be more safer or more dangerous, but she could not tell her daughter that. This was the first time her daughter had been off Kouen Island for her entire life. She wanted her to be happy, explore and enjoy some popular sites this city had to offer even if they were going to be here for a very short period of time.

Ellen set the comb on the bureau done with her daughter's hair. She put on a brave face then smiled. "Then it should be alright! Did you know your daddy was trained by the ex-general of the magic knights even though he does not look like it? The ex-general even said that your daddy was one of his best students."

"From the Langston Family?" She purposefully questioned in a curious tone.

Ellen nodded her head. "Yes, from the Langston Family. His name is Bernard Langston."

The retired Langston Duke had taught her father? That was something that was never mentioned it the game. Ashnah pondered how exactly strong Anzor was if he had been one of the renowned ex-general of Emphraim's best students.

"I believe you inherited your natural talent with blades from him." Ellen commented, smiling wryly.

Noticing her mother's conflicting emotions, Ashnah decided to say. "Then I will learn how to use a sword and protect mommy!"

The mother felt her eyes warmed. Then a large smiled adorned her beautiful face. She pulled at Ashnah's cheeks. "Aren't you a little too young to be saying that, Ash? Besides, it is my duty as your mother to protect you! Not the other way around! You do not even need to learn the way of the sword for that reason, because your mommy is no damsel in distress!"

"If ywou kweep on pwulling mwy chweeks, they're gwoing ta bes rweed in the mworning!"

"Awwww!" Ellen voiced with pretend pity for her daughter, not wanting to stop. "But you look so adorable like this, Ash!!

••••

The moon of the night watched as a sword charged with deadly azure blue lightning crackled and flickered. The one holding this sword was none other than Anzor Morley.

Corpses charred beyond recognition layered the ground they stood on.

"They seem to be survivors from the Thanos Assassination Guild massacre."

"Clear up their bodies."

•••••

Through a basin filled with water, the image of a sleeping Ashnah came to view. "....This girl..."