Chapter 30

I reached my 30th chapter goal. I had set this goal down at the same time with my 20th chapter goal to at least upload to the 30th chapter before school reopens for Fall.

⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️

Seeing that all of the passengers and merchandise had left the ship, the owner of it sighed, recalling someone then headed for her room. Once he reached, he knocked several times on the door then heard no answer. The man opened it. "Excuse me, Cousin Cannenta but we are preparing to leave the capital."

"Oi, I said to call me Cousin Nenta or Nentie. You make it sound like we are so distant. And stop with your polite tone." She castigated. Then recalling the last words of his statement, Cannenta got up placing the books she had been reading into her satchel at her leisure. "You're leaving the capital? Since when did we arrive?"

"Um, we arrived seven hours ago. I first mentioned it when we had docked in Rafferty and came in to bring your breakfast. ....And I mentioned it again when I brought lunch, but you seemed deep into your book at the time." He answered. Noticing that the plate was empty, he knew that she must had eaten her lunch when she had been reading.

"Really?" Cannenta tilted her head to the side. "I guess I did not notice the time."

He sweat-dropped. '....You always do not notice the time, Cousin Cannenta.'

After she was finished gathering her stuff, she said. "Walk me off the ship, Geozie."

George instantly agreed. "Of course, Cousin Cannenta." He once again spoke in an overly polite tone, following three steps behind her

"Geozie, it's Cousin Nenta or Nentie." She stopped, turning around with a finger pointing at him. "And why are you walking behind me again. Walk by my side!" She tugged him forward by the collar. "I swear if you are always like this, even your workers will look down on you and take advantage of you!!!"

He smiled then said, "thank you for your concern, Cousin Nentie. Those two things will not happen."

"They better not or straighten them out then I'll straighten you out for not keeping them in line."

George gulped down at this, a shiver running down his spine. He knew that was not an empty statement. When he had unexpectedly ran into her at a pub with his face black and blue, clothes dirtied and torn and his inheritance money stolen, she had hunted down the thugs who did it; and had 'straightened' them out as she had called it. Then she had straightened him out and put him through hellish training before he had gotten his inheritance money back.

"I will keep that in mind."

"You better, Geozie."

One more step and they would be off the ship.

"Are you are not coming?" She asked.

George knew what she had meant. He slowly shook his head. "Not yet. I am sure that the 'divorce' has taken a great toll on the both of them even if they were in different ways. When I set foot in this capital once again, I want to be someone who can properly take care of them even if they would not allow it or would not forgive me. I would need to have enough power to do so."

With falling into the backlash of a scheme gone wrong and what had occurred after, Cannenta had nothing to say. He was using a similar method to Anzor, inspired by him, but that method was neither good or bad in her books. She patted his shoulder, "your choice but the longer-"

"-Don't worry Cousin Nentie, it won't be long."

"I see you have grown enough guts to interrupt when your older cousin is speaking, huh?" The 'huh' was dark and chilling.

He bowed his head, instantly apologizing. "Please forgive my-"

Cannenta burst out into laughter. "-I was only kidding, Geozie. Quickly finish in becoming that person."

"I will and Cousin Nentie will you be able to please-"

She saw him taking out a package from a crate. "-No need to ask. I will give the parcels to their recipients as indicated."

"Thank you."

"No need for thanks. Now I wonder if I should spend a few hours reading at Glass Pavilion before heading to Alice Estate?" Cannenta mumbled to herself in thought.

George sweat dropped. '.....But Cousin Nentie your arranged time to meet Cousin Anzor is in an hour and thirty-two minutes.'

••••

A missive burnt, becoming ashes.

The bedroom chamber's doors opened, causing Adara to become startled.

"Oh my, did I give you a fright, Addie?" The retired Countess asked.

"Only a fair bit, mom." She responded with a gentle smile.

"I am sorry, Addie. I got so excited that your older sister Nentie has finally returned to the capital and wanted to inform you as quickly as I could." Adelaide Payne divulged.

Cannenta Morley was the child of her first marriage when she had married a distant relative of her family. But when her sickly husband had died, her family had arranged for her to wed the widowed and childless Count Payne. To wed him, she had to leave the child of her first marriage behind in the Morley Family. She had always deeply regretted doing so. Even though she had visited Cannenta many times and they had gone on many outings, trips and vacations, it still had not been the same as genuinely raising a child.

Adelaide felt that there was not a deep connection between them like her and her second daughter, Adara Payne. Because of this and her regret, she had always tried to become even closer to her first daughter. Every time that Cannenta was in the capital, the retired Countess would hope to have as many brunches, lunches and dinners as she could with her two daughters, her married in son-in-law and her grandchildren. For her whole family to spend more time together and for more bonding to occur.

"I heard. I have already sent invitations to Alice Estate. Just hope Sister Nenta comes on time to them." Adara said.

"Yes, that older sister of yours and time are not friends. She was suppose to be in Rafferty two weeks ago." The retired silver head Countess sighed. "I hope she still has the job at Alice Estate that she had told me about in her letter prior."

⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️

Just realized how slow my story has been going compared to other books on the site. I mean, we are 30 chapters in and our girl is still 7. I was not expecting this when I first started. And the male lead has not even been officially introduced. He is currently threatening me because of the lack of his presence. Anyway I hope you guys could stick around and please bear with me. Thank you for all your reads, comments and votes!!! 😊😁 I appreciate all of them!!!