too much

︾

Ruel is hanging out with his friends, when he receives a concerning text from you. One that immediately causes a frown to appear on his face.

baby <3
hi. we need to talk

He clears his throat, barely looking up at the boys as he says, "I'll be right back." Before he stands up from the couch and steps outside.

His worry gets to him, which is why he decides that it's best to call you. With his phone up to his ear, he waits patiently for you to answer, while slightly pacing along the porch.

It's probably nothing bad. He tells himself, in hopes of feeling a little bit better about what you could possibly say. I haven't done anything to upset her, so of course it's nothing bad. Right?

"Hello?" Your quiet voice answers after the fourth ring.

"Baby, hi." Ruel quickly responds, keeping his tone soft. "What's going on? What did you need to talk to me about?"

A short pause follows, before you speak up. "Well, I-I think I should say this in person."

"Why? Did...Did something happen?" Despite how badly he's trying to convince himself that nothings wrong, he can't help but have a bad feeling.

The line is silent for a few seconds too long again. "No, Ruel. Just-Just go have fun with your friends and we'll talk when you get home."

"I'm coming back now, okay? I'll see you in ten." The tall boy is far too worried to return back to his friends, where he'd have to act like he's not mentally freaking out.

"No, you don't have-"

"I'll see you in ten minutes, okay sweetheart?" He repeats, leaving no room for you to argue.

And that's exactly how long it takes for him to reach your shared apartment. He said bye to his friends with no explanation as to why he was leaving so quickly, and then he was gone.

Ruel unlocks the front door with slightly shaky hands, his anxiety of what's to come getting to him, and steps inside.

He doesn't see you in your usual spot on the couch, reading one of your books, and when he checks the kitchen he doesn't see you there either. The only place left is the bedroom.

As soon as he steps foot inside, his heart drops into the pit of his stomach at the sight in front of him.

You, in the middle of zipping up your fully packed suitcase. The closet door open, where he's able to see the emptiness of your hangers next to his t-shirts and hoodies.