Chapter Two

Orzala stood quietly by the king's side in the throne room, now dawning a guard's uniform. A porcelain mask rested over her face to hide her young age. It had become common to sit amongst the meetings as the king's personal guard, mainly because he believed it to be the best way for her to observe politics without revealing her identity.

The old man glanced at her as the door opened, sending a silent nod of affection. But her eyes focused only on the fugitives ahead of them. The princess cocked an eyebrow at their appearance. Thee group looked far too young to cause any real trouble. The eldest boy couldn't be any older than herself. 

Orzala allowed her gaze to drift over them slowly. There were only three of them: a girl and two boys. The girl and the eldest boy, who she assumed were siblings, dawned water tribe clothes. Her eyes lingered on the glint of a boomerang which rested on the boy's back, but as he turned toward her, she quickly shifted her attention.

  A small gasp left the princess's lips as she observed the youngest boy, taking in his yellow and orange clothes. "An Airbender," she breathed in awe, her eyes darting to her grandfather. "That must mean-"

The king waved her off, glancing at the boy himself. Orzala knew by his small smile that he realized it, too. They were in the presence of the avatar! For once, she was happy for her mask, as it shielded the wide smile she bore.

"Your majesty," the guard began to speak as the three children knelt, "these juveniles were arrested for vandalism, traveling under false pretenses, and malicious destruction of cabbages." Orzala couldn't help the snort that pushed past her lips, which earned a sharp glare from the king. She cleared her throat immediately, but couldn't push off the smile.

Her shoulders shook from laughter as the merchant began demanding their heads because of his lost cabbages.

"Enough!" The guard shouted, silencing the crazy merchant. "Only the king can pass down judgment." At that moment, all eyes drifted to her grandfather, who seemed to study the group closely. "What is your judgment, sire?" A tense moment passed. 

"Throw them... a feast!" The old man proclaimed. The entire room looked around in confusion, but the king only stood. He sent them a curt smile before snatching Orzala's elbow. She winced at the tight grip, but kept quiet as they walked out of the room at a slow pace. Once out of sight, he straightened, looking to her with disappointment.

"Have you learned nothing?!"  He bellowed, making her scowl. She pulled off the porcelain mask, eyeing him angrily. 

"Grandfather, that was the avatar! How do you expect me to react?" 

"I don't expect you to react. You came up with this ploy to pose as a soldier, and if you wish to follow through with it, you must act as one! You do not laugh, you do not speak, and you do not show surprise. You keep your emotions hidden, or your emotions will be your downfall." 

Orzala huffed, but bowed slightly. "Yes, grandfather." He frowned, resting his hand upon her shoulder. She kept her jade gaze fixed on the ground as he began to speak.

"Zala, I wish for you to accompany me to dinner." She nodded, straightening herself and preparing her mask once more. The king stopped her by placing a hand over her own. She glanced up at him, eyebrow slanted in a silent question. "I wish for you to accompany me for dinner."

The girl's green eyes widened, and she shook her head. "You don't mean-"

"I do." She grinned once more, setting the mask aside. 

"I would be honored, grandfather."