Chapter Thirty-Two

"Let's go."

The hushed voices are what brought Sokka from his sleep. He sat up, rubbing his eyes blearily, and glanced expectantly toward Orzala.  It wouldn't have been the first time she woke in the middle of the night. The boy's eyebrows furrowed, however, when they fell upon her sleeping figure.

Sokka's head snapped to the side as quiet footsteps tapped on the deck. He picked himself up, creeping to the flap and peeking around it. His eyes widened when he saw six figures leaving, and he quickly turned and whacked Orzala. The girl let out a small shriek, shooting up from her spot and looking around wildly.

When her eyes landed on Sokka, she scowled, rearing back and punching his shoulder. "What the heck, dude?" She hissed, and he couldn't help but laugh.

"Come on. I saw someone leaving the camp. We need to follow them." Orzala shot him an irritated look, but she stood anyway, glaring at him as she walked out of the hut. Sokka only released another chuckle, sweeping up his boomerang and club and rushing after her.

They jumped down together, eyes narrowing as they watched the gang load up a wagon. Orzala rested her hand against the tree beside her as she balanced on a limb. "Is that the blasting jelly?" She asked quietly, and Sokka gave her a small shrug.

"Come on." He jumped down as the group began to move, motioning the princess down with a wave of his hand. A small huff left the girl's lips, but she jumped down, wincing as her feet connected harshly with the ground. She didn't have time to recover, as Jet and his jockeys were already disappearing into the forest ahead.

The two rushed through the brush, making sure to stay hidden within the treeline, and Orzala felt her stomach drop when they came to a stop at a cliffside. She peered through the bushes, frowning, and Sokka gave her shoulder a gentle squeeze. Her breath caught as Jet began to speak.

"Now listen. You are not to blow the dam until I give the signal." The princess slapped a hand over her lips, a small gasp escaping her at the boy's command. Sokka glanced to her, eyes wide. "If the reservoir isn't full, the Fire Nation troops could survive."

"But what about the people in the town? Won't they get wiped out, too?" The little boy, the Duke, asked, sounded conflicted. Jet shook his head, walking forward and placing a hand on the little boy's shoulder.

"Look, Duke, that's the price of ridding this area of the Fire Nation." Orzala grit her teeth, fists clenching at her side so hard that they burned. "Now don't blow the dam until I give the signal. Got it?"

Sokka tensed beside the princess, eyes narrowing as he began to rise. However, he stopped his movements when he heard a rustling in the bushes beside him. His gaze darted to Orzala, who still hadn't moved from her spot, and his eyes widened. Before he could warn her though, a sharp pain shot through his skull as he was jerked up by his ponytail.

Orzala whipped around at Sokka's pained cry, tensing as she saw Pipsqueak grip the boy tightly. She readied herself to fight, but she felt her knees crumple beneath her as something sliced through her side. A ragged breath left her lips, and her green eyes darted up to see Smellerbee with a knife at her throat. The girl smirked down at her.

"Where do you think you're going?" Orzala's face hardened, and she made to stand, but another shot of pain tore through her side at the action.  A shaky hand hovered over her wound, and she frowned as she looked at the severity of it. Smellerbee didn't waste any time to grasp her shoulder, hauling her up and dragging her toward Jet.

Sokka was already there, clutching his shoulder as he glared at the boy. "Sokka, Orzala. I'm glad you decided to join us." The warrior's eyes flashed to his companion, blue eyes turning icy as he saw the blood that stained her side. Sokka whirled on Jet, a glower on his face as he confronted him.