Chapter Forty-Nine

Orzala was pacing again. Sokka had noticed that she only did that when she was overly stressed. He also noticed the distrusting glances she kept sending the man-- Chey. Her slender finger twitched slightly whenever he moved, as if she was prepared to bend at any given moment. When she passed him for the fifth time, the boy reached up, grabbing her hand in his own. She looked at him curiously, and he raised an eyebrow.

The princess sighed, moving to sit cross-legged beside him. She didn't pull her hand away when she settled, instead reveling in the comfort that the boy's touch provided. He sent her a small smile before turning back to Chey. 

He looked ominous sitting on the other side of the fire.  "I serve a man," Chey began, shooting a wary look at the earthbender that was now glaring him down. "More than a man, really, he's a myth-- but he's real! A living legend: Jeong Jeong the deserter." The princess perked up a bit at that name, though she wasn't quite sure where she recognized it from. 

"He was a Fire Nation general. Or wait... was he an admiral?" The man rubbed his head as he thought, and Orzala suppressed the urge to roll her eyes. "He was very highly ranked. We get it. Move on."

"Yeah, way up there! But he couldn't take the madness anymore. He's the first person to ever leave the army and live! I'm the second, but you don't get to be a legend for that." Orzala cocked an eyebrow, and Sokka couldn't help but chuckle. "It's ok, though," Chey continued. "Jeong Jeong is a firebending genius!

"Some say he's mad, but he's not! He's enlightened."

"You mean there's a firebender out there who's not with the Fire Lord? We've got to go see him! He can train me!"Aang exclaimed excitedly, jumping up. Orzala shook her head, pulling away from Sokka to confront the avatar. "Are you crazy? No!"

"Orzala's right. We're not going to go find some crazy firebender," Sokka told him. Chey shot up, looking angry. "He's not crazy! He's a genius."

"Yeah, you said that already," Orzala deadpanned, shaking her head slightly before turning back to Aang. 

"He's the perfect person to train the avatar! That's why I followed you to the festival!"

"Look, thanks for your help, but we're leaving for the North Pole in the morning." Aang frowned at Sokka's words, turning to the boy.

"Sokka, this could be my only chance to meet a firebending master who would actually be willing to teach me."

"It can't just to talk to him," Katara reasoned, making Orzala scoff.

"You said that about the festival, too!" The princess told her, and Sokka nodded.

"Yeah, why don't either of you ever listen to us?" Sokka spat, turning to leave. He was met with a spear in his face, and he released a small scream. Orzala's eyes snapped toward him, widening as she observed the growing number of people around them.

"Don't. Move."

Orzala wasn't sure what made her decide not to fight. She knew, deep down, that if she wanted to, she could have taken everyone down in a matter of seconds. All she had to do was move, and they could get away. But something in her gut was telling her to stay. So, ignoring the confused looks from her friends, she straightened, giving the men around them a once over.

"Ok," she said, pushing Sokka behind her to stand between him and the spear that was at his throat. "We'll come with you," she conceded. The old man cocked an eyebrow, lowering his spear slowly and nodding at her. "Follow me. No funny business."

Releasing a deep breath, the princess returned her gaze to Sokka. "Are you alright?" She asked him, her voice quiet as the breeze around them as she looked him over. He gave a short nod. "What are you doing?" The girl shrugged at the question.