Chapter Forty-Two

The trees loomed over the gang, dark limbs crackling above them as they walked. The creaks and screeches of the limbs did nothing to settle Orzala's already uneasy heart, and she found herself drawing closer to Aang. Their hands were still clasped together as they strode on behind the others, sad eyes fixated before them.

Sokka and Katara seemed infatuated with this new man, and the princess couldn't exactly blame them. It had been so long since they had seen their father-- his best friend was the next best thing. She was happy for them. Or at least that was what she was trying to convince herself of.

The eldest boy shot a glance back at them, and Orzala perked up for a moment, a minute smile jumping to her lips as she met his blue eyes. They didn't sparkle back at her like usual, though. After shifting his gaze quickly between her and Aang, he forced a smile before turning back to Bato.

The princess felt her heart sink, but she quickly pushed it away, ignoring the ache of her chest. "After I was wounded, your father carried me to this abbey," the warrior began explaining, and it was only then that Orzala noticed the small border they were approaching. "The sisters have cared for me ever since."

Several women bustled about them, all dressed in traditional robes. Not a voice could be heard as the group passed through, as all eyes turned to watch them curiously. "Superior!" An older woman turned to face them, a graceful smile lighting up her face as she observed the newcomers. "These are Hakoda's children. They've been traveling with the avatar and his friend. I found them by my boat."

"Young avatar, it gives me great joy to be in your presence," the Superior bowed to Aang, and he grinned back at her. "Welcome to our abbey."

"Thank you! It's truly an honor to be here. If there's anything--"

"What smells so good, Bato?" Sokka's voice cut through Aang's speech, and Orzala frowned as the avatar's smile faded slowly. Sokka took no notice, only sniffing loudly as he tried to figure out the source of the unusual scent.

"The sisters craft ointments and perfumes." The boy's face lit up, and Orzala facepalmed, already knowing he was about to say something ridiculous.

"Perfumes? Maybe we could dump some on Appa!" Sokka exclaimed with amusement, motioning wildly to the sky bison. "Because he stinks so much!" Orzala buried her head deeper into her hands, shaking it in embarrassment. "Am I right?" 

The abbey fell silent, other than the roaring sound of crickets in the forest, and everyone looked at the boy blankly. "You have your father's wit," Bato said finally, and Orzala couldn't hold back a snort as she peered over at the man. She covered it with a cough when Sokka's head snapped toward her, eyeing her dangerously.

Bato shook his head slowly, once again wrapping an arm around the siblings' shoulders and leading them toward their sleeping quarters. As the man slid open a door, Katara and Sokka smiled wide, blue eyes searching each and every crevice of the room.

"Bato, it looks like home!"

"Everything is here! Even the pelts!" Sokka fell to his knees, rubbing the pelts with a grin. Aang shifted uneasliy beside Orzala, clutching Momo tightly against him.

"Yeah," he said, sarcasm dripping in his voice, "nothing's cozier than dead animal skins." Momo hopped off Aang to paw at a beat head, and Orzala grimaced, shifting her gaze toward the ceiling instead. 

"Woah!" Her gaze snapped back to the siblings as Katara gasped in awe, and the princess's nose curled in disgust as she looked inside the boiling pot ahead of them. Katara smelled the goop happily, flashing her brother a grin. "Stewed sea prunes?"

"Help yourself," Bato told them, offering a bowl up to Orzala and Aang. The avatar took the mixture hesitantly, but Orzala refused. She had barely eaten as it was, she wasn't about to get sick over some stupid sea prunes. The raven-haired girl hopped to her feet, otping to stand away from the group and settle by the door. She leaned heavily against the wall, attempting to force away the anxiety that was building inside her.

What if they leave us? She thought to herself, examing her overgrown nails in an effort to distract herself. What if I have to go back to the castle? Her heart clenched at that, and her dark gaze flew toward the siblings and Aang. Her breathing picked up at the thought of being alone again. 

Surely they won't leave us.She reassured, physically shaking off the idea and earning a confused look from the avatar. 

"Bato, is it true that you and dad lassoed an artic hippo?"

The warrior gave a hearty laugh at the question. "That was your father's idea. He just dragged me along... Well, the hippo did the dragging." Orzala's jade eyes drifted to Aang when he sat straight. She could tell he was smiling just by the way he squared his shoulders.

"Hey, I ride animals, too!" He exclaimed. "One time there was this giant eel, and I--"

"So who was it that came up with the great blubber fiasco?" Sokka cut the boy off once more, earning a pointed glare from the princess. As if feeling her gaze, he shifted, locking eyes with the dark-haired girl, and a shiver ran down his spine. If looks could kill, he would be dead on the ground in a heartbeat. 

He only raised a pointed eyebrow, though, before turning back to Bato, who was chuckling. "You knew about that?" He said between laughs, a broad smile coming to his face as he looked between the Water Tribe siblings.

"Everyone does!"

"What's that story?" Aang asked. Sokka waved him off, muttering something about the story being "too long" and how he would tell it another time. The princess scoffed as he did so, scowling deeply as she watched Aang's shoulders sag.

"You and dad had so many hilarious adventures."

"Not all of which were hilarious at the time, but everything is funny with hindsight." Bato chuckled, observing the two before his gaze snapped to Aang. His eyes widened and he extended a hand toward the boy. "Aang! Please put that down." Orzala cocked an eyebrow, her focus shifting to the avatar before she rolled her eyes. He had grabbed an artifact off the wall and began trying to wear it like a hat. "It's ceremonial and very fragile."

Aang listened, carefully placing the artifact in its place on the wall before sulking his way to Orzala. The three Water Tribe members continued to talk amongst themselves as the boy slid down on the wall, hugging his knees to his chest tightly. With a sigh, she slid down beside him, nudging his shoulder gently with her own.

"If it makes you feel any better, I feel the same way." Aang's gray gaze shot up to meet Orzala's, wide and doelike as she spoke.

"W-what do you mean?"

She rolled her eyes, nudging him again. "Don't play dumb, Aang. It's hard-- not being included." The boy's shoulders sunk at this, and he let out a quiet huff. "You can't hold it against them, though. They haven't seen their father in years and now they have no one around that can remind them of him. Not their grandmother, not their tribe-- they're just as alone as we are."

"You're not alone," Aang corrected with a frown. Orzala's eyebrows shot up at that. "You've got Bumi." A small, scornful scoff left her lips at that, making Aang stare at her in confusion.

"Aang, I love my grandfather. I do. But in that castle--" she was cut off as a shudder rocked her spine, and she shook her head. "It was so lonely. I was always hiding. Hiding and practicing for a destiny yet to come-- one that I was told nothing about. All I was told was that I could leave when the moment was right, and until then, I had to practice every day.

"I wasn't allowed friends. I didn't have free time. If I had fun I was slacking off, or someone was in the castle and I had to be hidden away. The only time I ever felt the slightest bit free was in the desert." A small smile sat upon her lips as she thought back to those days. The Si Wong Desert had been hot and unforgivable, but she had loved it all the same. Though she was there for practice, she had noticed that the King had always seemed more at ease there. He wasn't quite as guarded or strict, and he would even play with her when she was younger.

She hadn't braced the desert in what felt like years. Orzala's smile fell, her dark gaze focused on the fire in the middle of the tent. "If they abandon us now and I have to go back-- I-I don't think I can handle it. I can't be locked inside that castle again. Not after experiencing all of this. Not after meeting you." Her eyes flitted back toward the avatar, but not before lingering on the eldest boy. She flashed Aang a watery smile. 

"I don't want to be alone again."