Chapter Fifty

Orzala wrung her hands wordlessly. How Jeong Jeong knew of her status, she didn't know, but he knew everything. He knew her grandfather, her mother—he even knew that her father was a firebender, and that she was as well. The Deserter seemed to know more about her than she did. But then again, didn't most people these days?

Jeong Jeong hadn't let her stay too long after Aang had left. He hadn't wanted to deal with the extra questions that had slipped past the princess's lips. Instead, he had instructed her to meet him by his tent at dawn, shortly after he began training the avatar.

The raven-haired girl drew her lip between her teeth as she watched the two, her anxiety growing as the elder barked orders at Aang. She couldn't really blame him, though. The airbender could be a lot to handle. She of all people knew that.

It seemed like ages before the old man turned toward her, motioning for her to follow him as he made his way up the walkway. She shared a confused look with her friends but hurried after the man quietly. Jeong Jeong remained silent as they walked, his amber eyes hazy as he looked ahead. He ignored the countless glances the princess sent toward him.

Orzala didn't speak. Jeong Jeong sent her a curious look, raising an eyebrow as she met his gaze. The princess quickly shifted her gaze to the ground.

"You're afraid." The statement was simple enough. Orzala was sure that anyone could tell-- that anyone could sense the growing fear inside of her. But she felt like he had gazed into her soul. The man observed her for a moment and let out a small hmph. "You should be."

The girl's head whipped around to him, staring at him incredulously. "How is that supposed to make me feel better?" She snapped, her jade eyes narrowing at him dangerously when he began to chuckle.

"It's not." Orzala's shoulders slumped, but he continued on. "The power inside you is great, Orzala. I can feel it radiating from you. And not only is it great, it is uncontrolled. That makes you dangerous."

The princess felt her heart sink to her stomach, leaving her chest achy and empty. Her eyes begun to sting, and she quickly turned away from the old firebender. Her teeth were beginning to ache from how hard her jaw was clenched, but she found herself afraid to relax it. She was afraid of what she would admit or say.

Orzala sucked in a sharp breath, tucking a strand of raven hair behind her ear before hugging herself as if that would somehow hide her from the newfound truth she had found. "Can it be controlled, though?" Her voice shook with the question, and she cursed herself silently. Jeong Jeong was quiet, but she did not dare to face him.

"Perhaps. But it will be difficult."

"Will it protect them?"

An uncomfortable silence fell over the two, and Orzala finally forced herself to turn. The old man frowned at the stress that was so clear on her features, but did not relent. Instead, he shrugged, flashing her an apologetic smile. "I suppose only you can decide that. But without teaching, you will most definitely cause them harm."

The raven-haired girl deepened her frown, nodding at him. "Teach me then."

"I don't believe I am the person to do so."

"Then who will?!" She snapped, eyes blazing like a forest fire. The old man raised an eyebrow, but Orzala was past holding her tongue. "Who will be willing to teach me? How many people will I have to ask? How long until I hurt my friends?! I don't have time to wait!"

Jeong Jeong's amber eyes scanned her cautiously for a moment, noting the way the girl's hands trembled, despite her clenched fists. Her green eyes met his defiantly, and he couldn't help but chuckle. This only seemed to anger her further, but she breathed deep before speaking. "I don't want to hurt anyone. Please, help me."

The man let out a deep sigh but eventually nodded. Orzala remained stoic, bowing slightly in thanks. "What would you have me do to begin?" He eyed her hands once more, not answering her question. His frail, lanky fingers reached for hers, pulling them up to look at them closely. The princess frowned in confusion.

"Do you always shake this way?" A sudden self-consciousness washed over her, and she jerked her hand away quickly as if she'd been burned.

"Not always. It's gotten worse recently." Jeong Jeong frowned, rubbing his chin harshly as he watched her rub her palms together. A small hum left his lips as he turned, continuing to climb up the mountain. Orzala reluctantly followed.

"When we train, I would like for you to meet me up here. I presume your friends do not know of your bending?" She shook her head slowly, confirming his suspicions. He gave her a nod of approval. "It is better that way for now. Better to learn to control it before you reveal it to anyone."

"Do I have to reveal it at all?" The girl questioned, shifting uncomfortably.  The man's eyes snapped to her, silent and calculating. He gave her a curt nod, making her heart drop further.

"It is your destiny, Orzala. It is a part of who you are. You can't deny it forever." She scoffed slightly, looking away. Her eyes drifted to the river below them, her gaze focusing on the far-away figures of her friends. She could barely make out Katara waterbending, moving gracefully and fluidly with the water. Aang was standing where they had left him, his shoulders hunched in such a way that Orzala could practically feel his irritation.

Her green eyes then drifted to Sokka. He was leaned against a tree, facing away from her as he focused on the river before him. The dread in her stomach began building again, weighing down painfully like a rock. She sniffed sharply, turning away and forcing the feeling back down. Her gaze snapped to the master before her, wincing slightly as his fiery eyes met her own.

"I will not tell you that it is easy, Princess. Fire consumes. It brings pain and destruction to those who wield it and those who come in to contact with it. Even after you have mastered it, fire does not like to be controlled. It's not like water or air or earth. Fire is alive. So you must use it carefully and sparingly.

"You cannot ignore it, though. It burns within you, and if it is neglected, it will only grow wild and out of control. If you do not control it, it will consume you and everything you hold dear."