Chapter Four

Orzala raised an eyebrow, twisting toward the young avatar. "Really? That was the best you could come up with?"

The airbender lips twitched into a pout before he hopped up and lifted his hands in an innocent fashion. "Alright, you caught me. I'm the avatar, doing my avatar thing. Keeping the world safe! Everything checks out." The boy lifted the table cloth and peered under it, and the two royals shared a confused glance. "No firebenders here."

"So, good work everybody!" The young boy drug his companions out of their seats, hugging them tightly around the shoulders. "Love each other, respect all life, and don't run with your spears." They began to slowly back toward the door. "We'll see you next time!" As they turned to leave, the guards blocked their way. This drew an angry expression from the water tribe girl.

"You can't keep us here! Let us leave!"

The aged king raised a piece of lettuce, viewing it skeptically. "Lettuce leaf?" Orzala rolled her eyes as he began to munch on the vegetable, pushing up from her seat. She was prepared to call the guards off, but she paused as the group began muttering amongst themseleves.

"This guy is nuts!" She heard one of them whisper, and her head whipped to the three friends once more.

"Excuse me?!" She bellowed, and the water tribe boy looked to her, blue eyes wide with fear. Orzala didn't think twice before yanking her satchel open and bending the sand out of it. The group gasped as the earth zoomed toward them.

"Orzala!" The princess hesitated, her sand stopping inches from the boy's face, but she did not face her grandfather. "I will not allow them to blatantly disrespect you in such a manner," she hissed to him through gritted teeth.

"They would not be the first." Orzala sighed before drawing her sand back reluctantly. She perched herself in her seat once more. "Tomorrow, the Avatar will face three deadly challenges. But for now, the guards will show you to your chamber."

The three friends exchanged worried glances. "My liege, do you mean the good chamber or the bad chamber?"

"The newly-refurbished chamber." Orzala and the guard looked to each other confused before he spoke again. "Wait, which one are we talking about?"

"The one that used to be the bad chamber, until the recent refurbishing, that is. Of course, we've been calling it the new chamber but we really should number them." Orzala only shrugged to the guard as he scratched his head. After a moment, the king spoke again. "Take them to the refurbished chamber that was once bad!"

The princess watched carefully as the group was escorted out, not missing the backward glance she received from those glacial blue eyes. She glowered back at him, an eyebrow raised in challenge. Once the room was empty, her grandfather turned to her.

"Have you learned nothing?!" He snarled, causing her to grimace.

"I've learned that they have no respect for the crown!" The old man shook his head, gripping onto her arm. "It is you who has no respect! That was the avatar, Orzala! And you just threatened him and his friends."

"The boy insulted you!"

"I do not care! You must learn to control your emotions before you turn out like your father!"

Orzala fell silent, anger bubbling in her chest like a fire. "Do not compare me to that monster." Her voice was barely audible.

"Then stop reacting like Fire Nation and start acting like an earthbender. Ground your emotions and control them." He took notice of her clenched fist and raised an eyebrow. His breath hitched. "Go to the avatar's chamber and apologize. Immediately."

The girl gave a tense nod, shaking out her hands as she strode out of the room. She didn't notice the king sink to his chair, watching after her with weary eyes- heart heavy as he realized what was now in motion.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Orzala felt as if everything inside her was burning. She couldn't control the anger she felt toward the avatar and his gang, but she knew she didn't have a choice but to apologize. Not that they deserve an apology, she thought. Do it for grandfather.

As she came upon their chamber, she took a deep breath, silently trying to push away her strong feelings. Be grounded, she repeated her grandfather's words, like an earthbender. Like the Earth.

With a final sigh, she bent down the door, stepping inside the chamber. Three heads whipped toward her, but what caught her eye was the avatar... shoving an animal into the air vent? The young boy quickly whipped around, plastering on an overly-innocent smile. Orzala's face contorted in confusion.

"What's going on?" She asked, finger raised in the direction of the flying lemur.

"Nothing!" The three voices chorused.

"Uh-huh." An awkward silence filled the room as the princess raised the door once more, trapping both herself and the gang inside. The princess let out a small groan, rubbing her face roughly. "Um, I came to-"

"You're not going to sandbend at me again, are you?" The eldest boy asked, but he shrunk back as her firey gaze met his own.

"Don't try me, water boy." He seemed to want to disappear into his bed. She closed her eyes for a moment and took a deep breath.

Orzala finally cleared her throat, reigning in her emotions, before turning back to the other two. "I came to apologize- I'm not always the most level-headed, and my emotions often get the better of me. I also would like to apologize for my grandfather. I assure you, he only means the best."

The girl scoffed. "I'd hardly call keeping us captive 'for the best.'" Orzala ignored the girl, turning to the avatar with a small smile.

"You're Aang, right? Grandfather has awaited your arrival for a long time. He's very pleased to have you here."

The monk raised an eyebrow, silently questioning how they knew his name, but nodded. "This is Katara," he motioned to the water tribe girl, who crossed her arms with a scowl, "and that's Sokka."

Her green gaze drifted the elder boy once more, this time more calculating than threatening. He gave a small scoff as he crossed his arms. Orzala held back her scowl. "It is a pleasure to meet you all. You don't even know." A small smile graced Aang's features.

"Get some rest," the princess told them. "You'll need it for tomorrow."

And with a wave of her hand, she was gone.