Chapter Thirty-Nine

"Those people all think they're safe! We've got to warn them!" Orzala nodded in agreement at Sokka's words. Without a word, the princess took a running jump off the mountain. For a moment, Sokka felt his heart stop, but as he dashed toward the edge, he saw her bending a wave of rock beneath her. His face morphed into one of irritation.

Aang seemed to have the same idea, opening up his glider quickly and reaching for his friend. "We don't have time to walk. Grab on!" The avatar pulled Sokka along, making the boy shriek as they, too, jumped off the side of the volcano. As they flew, Orzala glided along beneath them, using the earth to propel her and weave her way toward the village.

The three friends found Katara in no time, and it was no surprise that she was resting outside of Aunt Wu's shop. Orzala's lips quirked upward as she observed the waterbender-- Katara had her hands on her hips as she glared at the door. The princess laughed.

The younger girl turned at the sound, pouting. Aang and Sokka walked up slowly. The avatar rubbed his neck as he glanced at her awkwardly. "Hi, Katara."

"Can you believe she won't let me in?" She fumed, causing her brother to scoff. "And after all the business I've given her!"

Orzala's eyebrows shot up. "She charges?"

"No, she doesn't even charge," Aang reassured, and the princess let out a sigh of relief. Katara's face fell.

"I know, but still." Sokka shook his head, moving Orzala out of the way and glaring at his sister. 

"Well, we've got other things to worry about," he told her, and her face contorted in confusion. "Aunt Wu was wrong about the volcano!"

Katara rolled her eyes. "Sokka, you tried to convince me she was wrong before. It's going to take an awful lot to change my--" The brunette was cut off by a loud rumbling, and her blue gaze shot up toward the volcano. Smoke billowed from the mouth of it, tinting the sky a dark, dooming purple. "Oh, no."

Orzala acted first, turning sharply on her heel and sprinting off in the direction of the square. She felt a slight hope fill her chest. If Aunt Wu was wrong about this, then surely whatever she thought she saw was wrong. There was no ongoing battle inside her-- no flame, no big destiny. She probably wouldn't even end up with that guy, whoever he was.

Her heart twinged a little at that. She glanced behind her, her weary gaze landing on Sokka. Orzala's frown deepened. She wouldn't have minded if that part were true...

Her eyes widened at the thought and she quickly averted her eyes, shaking the thought from her mind as she stopped in front of the villagers. The princess found the crowd rather interesting as Sokka halted beside her and shot her a questioning glance. Before he could question her, though, the ground began to tremble once more.

"Everyone!" He bellowed, and his heart thumped rapidly in his chest as all eyes turned toward him. "That volcano is going to blow at any second! Aunt Wu was wrong!" The warrior was met with a tense silence.

"Yeah, yeah." Someone finally spoke up, making the gang turn. "We know you don't believe in Aunt Wu, Mr. Science and Reason Lover." Sokka's face fell, and it took every ounce of strength that Orzala had not to pummel the woman where she stood.

Katara rested a hand on her shoulder, a silent cue for her to relax. The waterbender eyed the girl's clenched fists cautiously before stepping forward. "If you won't listen to him, maybe you'll listen to me. I want to believe Aunt Wu and her predictions as much as you do, but my brother and Aang saw the lava with their own eyes."

"Well, I heard Aunt Wu's prediction with my own ears."

"Oh, spirits," Orzala muttered, massaging her temples as she fought her frustration. "I'm surrounded by a bunch of empty-headed imbiciles."