Chapter Forty-One

Orzala had grown distant again. She sat away from the rest, her green eyes hazy and unfocused as she watched the world below them. They had been flying for what felt like days. She hadn't spoken a word since they had left Aunt Wu's village.

Sokka's irritation grew with every passing hour. His irritation wasn't toward Orzala, though. He was sure that Aunt Wu had said something to her. Again. And after he had finally gotten her feeling ok again.

She had barely eaten, and frankly, she spent a lot of her time sleeping. They were growing worried.

That was what led them to land. Katara reasoned that a little rest and a walk through the forest would be good for the girl. Orzala only responded with a small nod of agreement. However, since they had landed, she had still barely moved beside getting off of Appa. She had settled below a nearby tree and began staring into the distance once more.

Overly frustrated, Sokka had drug Aang away to search for food. "I don't get it," he told Aang as they searched, shaking his head. "She was fine before. It had to be something that Aunt Wu said that made her this way. I just--" He cut himself off, running a hand roughly down his face, "I need her to talk to me."

Aang found himself nodding along. "I think you're right. Unfortunately, we have no way of knowing if she won't talk to us." Sokka puased, looking to Aang with a mischevious smile. The younger boy's eyes widened. "I don't like that look."

"So the question is, how do we get her to snap out of it?"

"Well, if we got in a fight she'd probably tell us off."

"Exactly! Or one of us could be put in immediate danger. That would be easier."

"For who?"

"Me."

Aang rolled his eyes at the Water Tribe boy, turning to walk away. As he passed through the bushes, an odd looking weapon caught his eye. "Hey, Sokka! Come look at this! It's a sword made out of a whale's tooth."

Sokka perked up instantly, sliding down the hill and rushing toward Aang. "Let me see that!" He took the sword carefully, examining it with extreme precision before nodding. "This is a Water Tribe weapon!" He exclaimed, turning and falling for Katara. "See if you can find anything else."

Katara showed upa moment later, dragging Orzala behind her by her elbow. The princess tugged weakly against her grip, her other arm draped tightly against her torso.She seemed less than happy to be included, and as soon as Katara's grip loosened, she found another tree to hide under.

"Did someone lose something?" Katara asked, watching the two boys skeptically.

"No, we found something!"

Sokka's breath hitched as he laid eyes on a blackened arrow, and he rushed over to the object. As he wrapped his fingers around the weapon, ash fell from it. "It's burned," the boy mused, rubbing the ash with his fingertips. His gaze drifted upward to a tree, and his eyes widened when he saw large slash marks in the bark.

"There was a battle." Orzala hobbled up next to him, eyeing the slashes warily. "The Water Tribe warriors must have ambushed the group of firebenders. The firebenders fought back," he pointed to the scroch marks that scarred the grass below them, following the trail down the hill, "but the warriors drove them down this hill."

Sokka sped off down the hill, followed by Katara and Aang. Orzala let out a loud huff, moving to join them slowly. As the princess set foot on the beach, her eyes drifted to the crestfallen warrior up front. Her frown dropped further. "What happened next?" She asked, not liking the way his shoulders were slumped. Katara whirled around with eyes wide, surprised to have heard the girl speak.