Chapter Twenty-Three

A loud gasp escaped the princess, and the scarred prince narrowed his eyes. "Who are you?" He hissed, but Orzala paid the question no mind. Instead, she thrust her fist upward, and the prince went tumbling backward as the ground beneath him rose. She whirled around, crazed gaze landing on the avatar.

"Aang!" The boy turned at her cry, and his gray eyes widened as he saw Zuko rise behind her. She tensed at his fear-filled eyes, turning just in time to dodge a blast from the banished prince. Her heart raced in her chest, and she immediately brought up a rock wall to separate herself from him. With a deep breath, she launched herself over the wall, prepared to attack.

What she was not prepared for, however, was the prince's own attack. Her eyes widened as the flames soared up at her, and she gritted her teeth as the fire tore at her side. The blast knocked her off balance, and she rolled to the floor with a thud. Orzala's hands flew to her side as if that would quell the pain somehow, and her vision was overcome with white spots.

Aang went to run to her, but Zuko caught his arm, twisting his hands behind his back with a smirk. Orzala heard Katara cry out for Aang to hurry, and she realized sadly that her friends were unaware of the struggle. Zuko kicked her forward, and the princess cried out in pain as her new wound met the floor.

"Orzala!" Her gaze shot up to meet Sokka's, whose blue eyes turned icy at the sight. He felt anger bubble up in his chest, and a low growl rumbled in the back of his throat. There was nothing he could do, however, as the Fire Sage behind him overpowered him. His gaze scanned desperately for hers as he was led toward a colomn, and he couldn't help the sigh of relief that left him when she was hoisted up and brought over to them.

The raven-haired girl winced as she walked, her side flaring up in pain with every step. She shot a glance over her shoulder to Aang, meeting his gray gaze as they began to chain her up with the water tribe siblings. She frowned, but sent him a small nod.

The avatar took a breath, forcefully kicking Zuko down the stairs before turning and running for his friends. Orzala shook her head rapidly. "Go, Aang!" He huffed, but changed his direction, hopping over the two Fire Sages that stood in his way and narrowly making it through the closing doors. The princess let out a loud, triumphant cry. "Yeah!"

"He made it!"

The room was illuminated by a blinding blue light, and Orzala buried her head into Sokka's shoulder. The boy blinked, nudging her as best he could through the chains. She squinted up at him, a tiny grin on her face. "Are you ok?" He asked, concern laced in his voice. She gave a watery laugh before wincing.

"I've had worse. Still, it hurts like a bitch." Sokka guffawed, smiling down at her. She continued to amaze him in every way. He shook his head, dismissing the thought, and opened his mouth to speak. "I'll clean it later, I promise," she cut him off, and he smiled again.

"Ok, but seriously. What is it with you and always getting burned?" She shrugged, a teasing grin rising to her lips.

"They say fire follows beauty." He laughed again, and Katara couldn't help but smile at the girl. Their laughter was cut short when the sages fired at the door. The lock remained sealed shut, sending the prince into a frenzy.

"Why isn't it working?" The boy bellowed. "It's sealed shut!"

"It must've been the light. Avatar Roku doesn't want us inside."

"Wow, big surprise," Orzala called, making the prince turn to her. "The avatar doesn't want you to kill the avatar." Zuko scowled at her, stalking over and grabbing her face roughly. Her friends let out a shout of protest, but she only smirked at the boy.

"I don't know who you are, but you need to keep your mouth shut."

"Oooh, scary. Say that again- I think my bunny slippers ran for cover." He let a small growl, shoving her head back into the pillar with a thunk. The princess hissed in pain, but held the prince's gaze steadily. "I'll give you a little advice, Prince Zuko," she breathed, her voice scarily low. He couldn't stop the shiver that ran down his spine as he gazed into her eyes. They were alight, flames dancing amongst the green like a forest fire, and he silently admitted that it was one of the scariest things he had seen. "Don't mess with me," she seethed, "because I am more powerful than you will ever know or be."

The prince's eyes widened slightly, but he covered it with a scoff, spinning on his heel and turning his attention toward Shyu. Sokka turned to her, wide-eyed as the prince stalked off.

"Ok, that was scary. Please never do that again." She didn't respond. Her deadly gaze followed the prince, who shifted uncomfortably at the notion.

"Why did you help the avatar?" He asked Shyu. The fire sage had been forced to kneel in the midst of his peers, but he showed no shame as he held the fallen prince's gaze.

"Because it was once the sages' duty. It is still our duty."  A clap echoed through the corridor, and Orzala's gaze snapped to a group of soldiers marching in their direction.

"What a moving and heartfelt performance! I'm sure the Fire Lord will understand when you explain why you betrayed him," the leader drawled, sarcasm dripping from his words. His lips curled up in a smirk when his gaze landed on Zuko.

"Commander Zhao." The head sage bowed deeply to the man, and Orzala scowled, eyebrows furrowing as the soldiers began to surround the prince.

"And Prince Zuko! It was a noble effort, but your little smoke screen didn't work. Two traitors in one day: the Fire Lord will be pleased." Orzala's eyes widened as the men restrained an estranged Zuko.

"You're too late, Zhao! The avatar's inside and the doors are sealed!" The commander's smirk grew wicked, and Orzala felt her stomach begin to churn.

"No matter. Sooner or later, he has to come out." She shared a worried look with Sokka before turning her attention back to Zhao. The commander's golden eyes turned to her, and they widened only slightly. Still, Orzala didn't miss the action, and she narrowed her eyes as he quickly made his way toward her. "I know you," he hissed, voice laced with a venom that threw her back.

"Excuse me?"

"Your face is familiar," he growled, and her eyebrows shot up as she shook her head.

"I don't know what you're talking about, bub. I've never seen you in my life." His eyes widened a fraction before he let out another growl.

"Who is your father?"

The princess blinked at him, shaking her head slowly. Her heart raced in her chest as he glared at her. Her throat itched and her thoughts were racing. He knows, her mind screeched, a silent mantra as she stared the man down. She forced a smirk to her lips. "Wouldn't you like to know?" She barely kept her voice from shaking, and couldn't help the sigh of relief that  escaped her when he turned from her, returning to his soldiers.

Orzala's gaze drifted to Sokka, and she felt a wave lift from her shoulders when she realized his eyes were filled with concern rather than skepticism. She shrugged, eyebrows furrowing in confusion as the conversation replayed in her mind. What connection did her father have with a man like Zhao? Her thoughts were ripped from her when the commander relayed orders to his men.

"When that door opens, unleash all your firepower!" Katara gasped beside her, and the princess grabbed her hand. She flashed the brunette a small, reassuring smile.

"It'll be ok." Katara shook her head, watching the door with concern.

"How's Aang gonna make it out of this?"

"Forget Aang," Sokka quipped, straining to see his sister over Orzala's head. "How are we gonna make it out of this?"