Chapter Forty

Aang and Katara had returned feeling rather proud of themselves. And they had a right to be. Orzala had told them so. The moment she had set eyes on them, she had flashed the largest, most dazzling smile and embraced them, but the moment was short-lived.

The villagers gathered around them in the square, now looking to the avatar for direction. "We can still save the village if we act fast!" Aang reassured, earning an encouraging nod from the princess. "Sokka has a plan."

The Water Tribe boy wrung his hands as he stepped up, eyes darting amongst the crowd. He drew a deep breath. "Lava is going to flow downhill to this spot. If we dig a deep enough trench, we can channel the lava away from the village and into the river."

"If any of you are earthbenders, come with Aang and I," Orzala called, moving to stand by the avatar. A smile rose to her lips as one of the twins raised his hand, darting toward the two and looking to them expectantly.

"Everyone else grab a shovel!" The ground began to shake beneath them, and a startled cry rose from the crowd. "Come on, we have to hurry!" Sokka rushed to the pile of shovels, passing them around to the nonbenders as Orzala hurried by. She shot him an anxious smile before disappearing with the others.

They set to work with the townspeople immediately. Orzala led the earthbenders, helping to dig the trench and bend the rock away so that it protected the town. She found herself flinching every time the volcano released a boom, but it had yet to blow. They made quick work, along with the nonbenders, and the channel was completed just in time.

Another blast erupted above them, and Orzala's green eyes drifted to the sky. The girl was horrified to find that the volcano had finally erupted. Sokka's voice echoed behind her, ordering the others to evacuate as she watched the lava with wide eyes. He was by her side in an instant, following her gaze to the molten earth that was rushing toward them.

Katara and Aang joined them, and the four prepared themselves to run if they had to. Orzala did not budge as the lava sloshed into the trench below, green eyes watching the fiery substance as it rose. She shook her head, dropping into a crouch and reaching down to feel the earth beneath her.

"It's not going to work. It's too much," she informed, looking back to her friends with fear. The ground shook once more, and their eyes darted up to Mount Makapu. The volcano released another blast of lava, and Orzala quickly bent up a wall to protect them from the flying debris. The princess set her jaw, sharing a look with Aang as Katara and Sokka retreated further back into the village.

She took a deep breath, pulling her dark hair back and tying it into a messy, taut bun as she gathered all the strength she could muster. Aang shot her a nod as he built up his own energy, and Orzala began to bend a monstrous wall of earth to stall the overflow of lava. Her energy was leaving her fast as she rushed along the village edge, punching and kicking the air as she bent the earth up.

Once she was satisfied with her work, she joined Katara and Sokka in the town, promptly collasping from exhaustion as she watched Aang airbend ahead of them. The lava splashed dangerously against the rock wall Orzala had built, but as it rose, Aang sent out a giant burst of wind that turned the substance to stone.

"Man," Sokka muttered, dropping down beside Orzala and grasping her hand in his own. His eyes flickered to her momentarily, searching her for any sign of damage. Once he was satisfied with her condition, he allowed his eyes to flit back toward Aang. "Sometimes I forget what a powerful bender that kid is." The princess nodded along, sucking in a heavy breath.

Katara turned to the two, her blue eyes wide. "Wait, what did you just say?" 

Sokka shrugged, turning his attention away from Aang to fully focus on Orzala. He sat beside her, prompting her to slump against him as she recovered. Her eyes fluttered shut and she breathed deeply, relaxing immediately as her head rested against his shoulder. "Nothing," he told Katara offhandedly, reaching up to brush a black strand of hair away from the princess's face, "Just that Aang is a really powerful bender."