Chapter Forty-Five

The next morning, much to Orzala's dismay, the group was drug out to Bato's ship once more. Aang stuck to the princess like glue, nudging her when she frowned to flash a silly smile. She would smirk back, sticking her tongue out at the boy and quickly fix her frown.

The siblings didn't seem to notice her changed demeanor. She was grateful for that. At the same time, her heart clenched, because any other day, she knew Sokka would've been all over her trying to figure out what was wrong. But he was happy, and he was distracted.

"This ship is sentimental to me. It was built by my father," Bato told them as they approached it. Aang suddenly broke away from Orzala, throwing a gust of wind off to the side and stirring up the sand there. She cocked an eyebrow at him when he turned but didn't question it. He grinned innocently at her.

"Is this the boat he took you ice dodging in?" Sokka asked, eyes sparkling in awe. The princess couldn't help but chuckle, and he sent her a playful glare.

"Yep, and it's got the scar to prove it. What about you, Sokka? You must have some good stories from your first time ice dodging." The boy's face fell.

"He never got to go," Katara piped up, exchanging the same sad gaze. "Dad left before he was old enough."

"Oh. I forgot you were too young."

"What's ice dodging?" Orzala questioned, moving to step beside Sokka. She grasped his hand tightly, shooting him a reassuring smile.

"It's a rite of passage for young Water Tribe members. When you turn fourteen, your dad takes you--" Bato paused, gaze flickering to Sokka once more. A grin began to creep onto his lips, and he rested a hand on the boy's shoulder. "You know what? You're about to find out."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ice dodging is a ceremonial test of wisdom, bravery, and trust. In our village, it was done by weaving a boat through a field of icebergs," Bato explained to the kids. Orzala furrowed her eyebrows.

"How is he supposed to dodge ice without any ice?"

The man laughed, clapping a hand on her shoulder as he pointed ahead of them. "He'll be dodging... those." Orzala allowed her gaze to drift forward, and her eyes widened as she say the large rocks protruding from the water ahead. All their eyes widened.

"Sokka, you steer and call the shots. Lead wisely." The boy turned to him, and after giving Orzala's hand one last squeeze, he nodded, rushing toward the back of the boat. "Katara, you control the mainsail. The winds can be brutal, so be brave." Bato turned to Aang, eyeing him warily.

"Aang. You control the jib. Without your steady hand, we all go down." Orzala felt her heart sink in her chest at the words, and immediately turned away, rubbing her arm nervously.

"I know that! Why wouldn't I know that? I'm the avatar! I know about trust." Aang crossed his arms, refusing to look the man in the eye. Orzala furrowed her eyebrows at his odd behavior, but didn't question it. Perhaps he was feeling the same way about her secret? 

"Orzala, you will man the bow. If you feel at any point that we will not dodge successfully, bend the rocks away. But only do so if it is impertinant. Place your trust in Sokka, and he will not lead us wrong." She gave a curt nod.

"For this to be done right, I cannot help. You pass or fail on your own." The group exchanged uneasy glances, but nodded, readying themselves for what was to come.

"Aang, ease up on the jib. Katara, steady." Sokka's voice resonated over the waves, and it took every fiber of her being for Orzala not to turn around and look at him.

"Aang, less sail. Katara, give him room!" The princess bounced on the balls of her feet nervously, her hands twitching and at the ready by her side should she need to act. The rocks were drawing closer, and she couldn't help the anxiety growing in her chest. 

The boat swerved from side to side, narrowly dodging the boulders. Orzala gripped the bow so tightly that her knuckles had turned white. "Aang! Helm to lee! Helm to lee!" They chattered on behind her, and she braced herself once more as a wave washed over the boat. 

Her heart beat rapidly in her chest, and she sucked in a sharp breath as they passed through yet another set of rocks. Her eyes widened when she saw a dead end up ahead, and she whirled around to face them. "There's no way through!"

"We can make it!"

"I'm sorry, did you not hear me? I said THERE IS NO WAY THROUGH!"

"You've already proven yourself, Sokka! Maybe we should--"

The boy cut Bato off, shouting out orders to Aang. "Aang, I'm gonna need more air in that sail! Katara, I want you to bend as much water as you can between us and those rocks. And Orzala, when we get close enough, I want you to bend those rocks lower. Now!"

The three went to work quickly, and Orzala felt her anxiety rising as they neared the blockage. She reached out, squeezing her eyes shut as she felt the rock before her.  Once it felt close enough, she slammed her hands down and watched as the rocks fell away beneath them. 

A weary laugh escaped her lips before she turned, throwing the others a thumbs up. 

"Sokka, if you ever make me do anything like that again... I will kill you." He only laughed.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Once they had returned to the shore, Bato lined them all up with a smile. "The spirits of water bear witness to these marks. For Sokka, the mark of the wise-- the same mark your father earned. For Katara, the mark of the brave. Your courage inspires us."

He stepped to Orzala, smiling down at her as he traced her forehead with the paint. The symbol was simple: two lines crossing and a dot on either side. "For Orzala, the mark of the loyal. The trust you place in your friends stand out above all else."

"And for Aang, the mark of the trusted. You two are now honorary members of the Water Tribe." Orzala beamed up at him, but Aang frowned, rubbing the marking from his head.

"I can't." The others looked to him wide-eyed, and Orzala felt her heart dropped as she met his sad, gray eyes.

"Of course you can," Katara told him, but he shook his head, backing away. 

"No. You can't trust me."

"Aang, what are you talking about?"

The boy's gray eyes fltted between Orzala and the siblings before he sighed. He reached into his cloak and produced a wadded up piece of paper. He held it out for them, refusing tomeet their gazes. "I've been hiding things from you. A messenger gave this to me for Bato."

Katara stepped forward, collecting the paper with shaky fingers. She glanced back at Sokka before opening it and examining it.

"You have to understand. I was afraid you wouldn't--"

Katara gasped, and Sokka raced forward to look over her shoulder. His face contorted with anger as he grabbed for it, cutting Aang off. "This is the map to our father! You had it the whole time? How could you?"

Orzala reached out for the siblings, resting a calming hand on the elder's shoulder, but he shoved her away. His icy eyes turned to her, glaring daggers into her soul. "Sokka--"

"No! You're probably no better! We all know you've been hiding something! Here's your chance to spill it."

The princess's eyes widened at his words, and she backed away. He scoffed, shaking his head as he glared between her and Aang. "Whatever. You can both find your way to the North Pole on your own. I'm going to find dad."

"Now, Sokka, I think you should--"

The boy didn't listen. Instead he cut off Bato, turning to glare at his sister. "Katara, are you with me?" The girl frowned, glancing back at her two friends before sighing.

"I'm with you Sokka."

If it was possible for one's heart to shatter, Orzala felt hers shatter into a million pieces as they turned away from them. She wrapped an arm around Aang's shoulder, glaring at their backs until they disappeared into the trees.