Chapter Thirty-Seven

Sokka was in a rather ill mood. Not only had he gotten a rubbish fortune, but Orzala had emerged looking dejected. The princess wrung her hands so violently he thought they may begin to bleed, and he found himself reaching out to her as he glared toward the old woman. The boy wrapped his arm around her shoulders, bringing her to his chest. His blue eyes turned icy when he registered the slight tremors of her body against his.

Once Aunt Wu had disappeared with Aang, Sokka pulled away, and his gaze softened as he observed her face. Orzala's skin had become visibly paler— even the light pink of her lips had drained of their color— and his eyebrows furrowed in concern. "Are you ok?" She didn't meet his eyes, but she sent him a curt nod. The boy pursed his lips, grasping her chin gently with his fingers and tilting her chin upward so she would look at him.

"I'm fine, water boy," she murmured, forcing a tight smile to those pale lips. "Just a little confused. I have a lot of unanswered questions now." Sokka's frowned deepened.

"Well, why are you shaking?" He asked, noting the way her shoulders tensed beneath his grasp.

"I--"

Aang bust through the doors of the reading room with a gleeful shout, making Orzala shrink away. The airbender paid no mind, though. Instead, he marched proudly past the group and out of the door. Sokka scowled after the boy and turned to Orzala, only to find that she had already moved away and after Aang. He and Katara had no choice but to follow.

The princess hugged herself tightly, trying her best to avoid the prying eyes of Sokka. The action irritated him further, and he rushed after her. His steely gaze darted around to the others, and he shook his head. "Well, now you got to see for yourself that fortune-telling is just a big, stupid hoax!" He said matter-of-factly, but Katara returned it with a scoff.

"You're just saying that because you're going to make yourself unhappy for the rest of your life," she quipped, crossing her arms as she smirked at her brother.

"That woman is crazy!" Sokka snapped back, officially becoming fed up. "My life calm, and happy, and joyful!" The boy kicked a rock in his frustration, and as if to prove the truth of Aunt Wu's words, it bounced right back and collided with his head.

Orzala clapped a hand over her lips, a shaky laugh escaping her as she looked down at the fallen boy. He glared up at her as he rubbed his temple. "That doesn't prove anything!"

"Well, I liked my predictions," Katara hummed, clasping her hands together. "Certain things are going to turn out very well." A wide, satisfied smirk crept onto Aang's face as he sidled up beside her.

"They sure are!" He agreed. But he evidently wasn't prepared for Katara's reaction. The waterbender's eyes grew wide as she looked at him, her curious blue eyes scanning his face fervently.

"Why? What did she tell you?" 

Aang blanched, shaking his head. "Um... some stuff. You'll find out!" He reassured, flashing her a sheepish smile. Satisfied with the answer, Katara turned toward the princess, an eager expression on her face.

"What about you, Orzala?" The girl asked, walking toward the earthbender. Orzala tensed slightly, but she plastered a smile onto her lips quickly.

"The normal stuff. Who I'm going to marry." Katara's eyes lit up at the princess's words, and she darted over to clasp her arm.

"Really?! What did she tell you?" Katara gushed. Orzala's eyes widened, her green gaze flitting to Sokka for a brief moment. She tucked an ebony strand of hair behind her ear, averting her gaze when she felt heat begin to glaze her cheeks.

"W-well... she told me that he'd be a nonbender," she started slowly, looking anywhere and everywhere but her friends, "but that he'd still be a strong, powerful man. A leader." She saw Sokka perk up in the corner of her eye, and her blush deepened.