Chapter Thirty

Something didn't feel right.

That's all Orzala could think about as she observed the kids around them. Her stomach twisted, and a sinking feeling settled within her chest. Her frown deepened. The last time she had gotten a feeling like this, she'd spent a day in the spirit world after being captured by Hei Bai. She didn't want another bad experience.

"Thanks for saving us, Jet. We're lucky you were there." The princess rolled her eyes as she listened to Katara. She wasn't trying to eavesdrop. Really. It wasn't her fault that they had decided to talk under her tree.

"I should be thanking you. We were waiting to ambush those soldiers all morning- we just needed the right distraction. And then you guys stumbled in!"

"We were relying on instincts," Katara said, flashing an irritated look toward her brother. Orzala tensed when she saw Sokka frown, his expression becoming hurt. He quickly covered it up, though.

"You'll get yourself killed doing that," Jet quipped, and the princess decided she had had enough. She pushed herself up with a grunt, brushing her raven hair away from her face as she glared at the boy. He gulped slightly, and she almost didn't notice, but she did. Her lips twisted into a small smirk.

"Or you can get killed by not listening to them. I should know. I got abducted by a spirit because these numbskulls wouldn't listen to me." Her smile turned sickly sweet, and she snorted slightly as the boy's face went white. Orzala pushed past him, taking quick strides toward Sokka and lacing her hand with his. She ignored the surprised look that he gave her, flashing one last wicked smirk over her shoulder toward Jet before walking away.

As soon as she turned away from his sight, she scowled. "I fucking hate that guy," she spat, and Sokka's eyes widened. The girl raised an eyebrow. "What?" Her voice was much softer this time, and he couldn't help but chuckle slightly, tightening his grip on her fingers.

"Have I ever told you that you can be scary as hell?" She paused, tilting her head to the side as she looked up at him. His heart tightened at the action, and it took everything in his being not to grab her face and exclaim how adorable she was. The raven-haired girl broke out into a large grin a moment later.

"Really? That's what I was going for." The boy guffawed, shaking his head.

"Hey, Jet!" Their heads snapped to the side, focusing on the kid who went by 'The Duke.' He held up a finger, and Orzala frowned at the slimy, yellow substance it held. "These barrels are filled with blasting jelly," the kid informed, and Jet smirked from his place in the shade.

"That's a great score!"

"These boxes are filled with jellied candy!" The large man, Pipsqueak, exclaimed.

"Also good. Let's not get those mixed up." The two nodded, loading their findings into a wagon.

"We'll take this stuff back to the hideout." Orzala saw Aang's face light up and immediately facepalmed. Before she could breathe a single word of opposition, the avatar had turned to Jet, eyes and smile wide with excitement. She sighed.

"You guys have a hideout?!" The airbender explained, and Orzala found herself scowling as Jet smirked.

"You want to see it?" The boy asked, his gaze drifting toward Orzala.

"No."

"Yes, we want to see it!" His dark gaze drifted down to Orzala's hand, which was still intertwined tightly with Sokka's. The Water Tribe boy stiffened as he frowned, an unexplainable fury building in his chest. Jet quickly covered his disappointment, however, turning to Katara with a smirk.