7. Immensely Cruel

Rivia: Ajayib, Town of Central Rivia, Elianna's Residence

Elianna

"He's not back?" Elianna panicked, knowing that night has fallen and Arell had yet to return home.

"He must be on his way," Jana attempted to comfort but the worry in her voice was apparent.

"Arell never breaks his promises." Elianna felt weak on her limbs as fear crawled from within. Her hands clutched weakly on Jana's hand as she felt on the verge of tears, "I have to find him, something must've happened to him."

"Stay home," Thunder said from behind her. "I'll go look for him."

"I can't stay home—" Elianna cried, raising her shaking hands to bury her face into them. "What if something really happened? How could I be here when he could be feeling scared somewhere else?"

"There's no way you can look for him like this," Thunder persuaded. "Please stay home, Eli. I'll go look for him."

"I—" she wept. "Please find him, Thunder. Please find my boy..."

"Wait for me." Thunder gave a light squeeze on her shoulder and she heard his fading steps as he ran. Those fading steps soon halted to a stop and Jana gasped from beside her. Everything went into a pause when Arell shouted, "Mother!"

All the anxiousness faded instantly and she opened her arms widely as relief washed over her. She felt a pair of arms handing her son over to her and she wrapped her hands tightly around his small body. When she wanted to express her gratitude, a familiar yet foreign voice sounded in her ears, causing her breath to hitch.

"Eli."

She didn't move, couldn't move. The sound of her name in that voice carried too much weight and the faint scent of mint and sandalwood had already given away the identity of the person right in front of her. 

He was the one who had been running circles in her mind and the beat that had been pounding in harmony in her heart. He was the one she's been missing, missing and missing all over again in the countless of times, over the countless of nights. 

At this moment, she realised that words hadn't failed her. She still remembered every single word she wanted to say, but she didn't know where to begin because none of them seemed to aptly describe what she had been feeling. Even the tears that pooled at the corner of her eyes couldn't fully express the enormity of her emotions. So, she stood there, unmoving and hoping that every moment of this was real. Five years was too long and another second without him would shatter everything of her. 

"Eli," he called her again and it hadn't failed to cause her heart to tremble. 

He found them. She was wholeheartedly relieved that she didn't need to run any longer. Reaching her hand out to hold onto his hand, she slipped her fingers through the spaces in between his and interlocking them.