26. White Wolves

Iftia: Lyx Palace, Matrimonial Bedchamber

Elianna

A scream from a familiar voice startled her awake and she jackknifed up into a sitting position, trying to process the situation. It was a child's voice and panic quickly set in when Arell struck her mind. Turned at her waist, she pushed hard on Rowan as she stuttered nervously, "R-Rowan."

He didn't budge, not at all. The man had sunk too deep in his sleep and no matter how hard she nudged on him, he wouldn't wake. Something's wrong, horribly wrong.

For a light sleeper like Rowan, it was almost impossible for him to still sleep through all the noise and her pushes. Hurriedly pulling the blankets aside, she stretched her legs out and got off the bed. She put on a thick mantle and rushed out of the bedchamber. Fires that were supposed to lit the hallways had been extinguished and darkness loomed over the whole place. Guards placed on patrol fell completely unconscious and their bodies littered across the hallways.

In the grip of silent panic, she felt her heart beating harder and faster as frigid adrenaline pumped through her veins. She turned to one of the bodies on the ground and placed her fingers against the part of their neck where their pulse should be. Still there. She felt slow pulsing against the tender skin of the guard's neck and heaved out a small sigh of relief. Forcing herself straight, she ran towards the direction to get out of Lyx. She didn't have the luxury to check on everyone, hoping that every other guard was simply conscious and not dead.

Her mind was on the verge of being seized up and her body was forced against a shut down from the overwhelming fear, but her maternal instincts demanded her to continue moving. The main doors into Lyx remained wide open as the bitterly cold winds howled fiercely through the entrance and snow began to pile against the marbled ground. With a sense of foreboding, she left the palace and followed the confusing footsteps on the ground into the woods behind the palace.

At the first trace of magic she felt through the bleak wintry night, she dissipated into her shadows and hunted the enemies down like a relentless hound. Her tamed shadows shuddered in excitement, feeding on the trepidation she felt as they anticipated their master to fulfil their insatiable bloodlusts.

Her sudden appearance had stopped a pack of wolves in their tracks as they took a defensive stance and lowered themselves enough to power a lunge should situation calls for a fight. When Elianna opened her eyes, the first thing she glared towards was the wolf biting onto the collar of the shirt of an unconscious child — Arell. His small limbs were swinging limply and her heart clenched in her heart while anger boiled in the depths of her. Dropping her gaze, she assumed the leader of the pact and warned, "Hand the child over."

The pact of silver-white wolves kept their predatory glare on her, keeping her in their view with their iridescent pale eyes that reflected the argent moon. A few howls were exchanged in an attempt to communicate before they moved, circling her while the one holding onto Arell retreated.