17. Vow of Forever

"may my heart be the softest place you fall,
may this love be the wildest place you run."

4 months laterIftia: Lyx Palace, Waiting Room

4 months later
Iftia: Lyx Palace, Waiting Room

Arell

"Father," Arell grumbled, sitting on the couch opposite to his father's as he pouted unhappily. "Arell wants to see Mother."

"Stay here, son," Father replied simply, his attention focused on the book in his hand. He explained, "Your mother is rather busy."

"Arell have yet seen Mother for—"

Just then, the door to the waiting room was pushed open. The child turned his head to look at Tristan, who had entered looking all stunning in his formal ceremonial uniform and his hair combed neatly with sleek. He asked, "Has anyone seen Arell?"

Arell quickly jumped in his seat and waved excitedly at Tristan, "Tris, I'm here!"

"Hey buddy, I've been looking for you everywhere," Tristan laughed. "Why are you here?"

Before Arell could explain himself, Ilias piped in a reply from the side, "Ask the man who had been sulking for weeks just because he's not allowed to see Elianna."

Father shot a look at Ilias and scowled, "I'm waiting for a maiden to steal that stone-cold heart of yours."

"Please spare me from the idea of marriage, Your Highness," Ilias smiled. "My brother and sister-in-law had done an impeccable job to ensure the continuity of the Vaille bloodline."

Father rolled his eyes, retorting, "Other than Alec, who's married, I have no intention for rest of you to remain bachelors."

"You heard that, Kaylon?" Ilias quickly darted his eyes towards Kaylon, who spurted out a mouthful of water. Alec glowered at him while quickly pulling the thick fabric of his shoulder capelet away, letting out a sigh of relief at the realisation that Kaylon had not messed up his ceremonial uniform.

Kaylon shouted back, "S-Shut up, Ilias!"

"Care to explain?" Father arched his brow questioningly and Arell had also turned his attention towards Kaylon, intrigued.

"Nothing at all," Kaylon denied.

While everyone had their attention on Kaylon, Arell felt a light tap on his shoulder and turned to peer towards Tristan. Tristan had lifted a finger requesting for him to keep quiet. A small bubble of happiness surfaced and excitement glinted in his eyes when Tristan picked him up from the couch and pivoted towards the door.

"Where do you think you're going with Arell, Tristan?" Father caught them and asked. The child stilled in Tristan's hold, folding his arms tighter around his neck.