40. Forgiveness

Iftia: Lyx Palace, Study

King of Iftia, Rowan

"Rowan!" The door slammed opened in one violent push and Elianna appeared behind it, looking all flustered and anxious. He pushed himself to stand and rushed towards her, quickly searched her gaze for any answers as she tried to catch her breath. To his relief, there were no signs of distress or unpleasantness. Rather, his wife looked excited and enthusiastic.

"What's with all the rush, love?" Rowan asked, smoothing his hands along the length of her hair and trying to tame the wild strands back. He only wondered how fast did she run to make such a mess of herself and chuckled softly when he imagined his queen sprinting through the hallway. Those old grandmothers in charge of etiquette teachings would've exploded at such an outrageous display of behaviour.

"Why are you laughing at me?" she frowned adorably, challenging him with a glare of her striking gold gaze. She pulled on his arm and walked them out of the study. He wasn't sure what she was trying to do but he can't possibly leave his official duties behind at this early of the day.

"Eli—"

When she sensed his hesitation, she rushed, "My dear husband, quit stalling! Matthias' awake!"

"Matthias' awake?" he repeated, needing confirmation that he wasn't hearing her wrong.

"Yes, my love," Elianna nodded, a wide smile spread across her beautiful face. "Your brother's awake and he asked for you!"

When he arrived in front of Matthias' bedchamber, he wasn't sure why all the excitement suddenly receded and he found himself hesitating to push on the door handle to enter his space.

Rowan wondered if his brother would resent him for whatever he did to Silvestra. Even after everything, that incorrigible woman was still his mother and Matthias had lived his life trying his hardest to appease and protect both sides. Rowan knew how much Matthias cared for her and he did all that he could to help her, wishing earnestly that his mother could reconcile with all the hurt she went through. Now that Rowan had placed her in the grim underground prison, he wasn't sure if Matthias would be able to accept her sentence.

Rowan had to give an answer to the rest of the Iftians. Silvestra was due for the guillotines but he had pleaded for his people to be patient with him. Rowan requested for her sentence to be served after Matthias' awake — in case, he had words for her.

With a sigh, Rowan thought about returning to Lyx when the door opened from within and Matthias groaned complainingly, "Really, brother! You've stood there for a good moment and we've been waiting for you to open this door!"

"Matthias," Rowan inhaled.

"My little princess was about to throw hands if I didn't open the door. Right, my darling?" Matthias laughed, rubbing his nose against Indira's and the toddler chuckled adorably.