28. Love and Betrayal

"it's a tragedy, the way he loved her." 

A week later

A week later.
Iftia: Nvre Palace, Study

Naailah

"Matthias?"

Naailah entered the study and found Matthias sitting at the corner with his knees tucked close to his chest. Since his return from West Iftia, he hadn't been acting like himself. She began to worry more after the night Lyx was attacked because Ray wrote to her, telling her that the Queen had visited Matthias.

A wave of ugly anger surged within her when Ray added that Matthias was left lying on the ground, semi-conscious and bleeding from his nose and lips. Even when she knew that Silvestra was up to no good, she couldn't believe that Matthias would be left all alone in that state.

Deep down, Naailah was also frustrated at Matthias. Before he left for Elgens, she saw him in her foretell, in the manner that Ray had mentioned in his letter to her. That was why she feared and insisted that he should stay in Nvre. Even when she was born an oracle, she couldn't play against fate. By asking him to stay, she was already trying to overwrite his fate and she would rather pay the price of her gift if it meant that she could keep him safe. Yet, he still left.

The silver pocket watch was a memento left by her mother, who passed shortly after her difficult labour. Fariah told her that among all the wives, Father loved Mother the most and when she drew her last breath, he grieved for a long time. Naailah was the only child left behind by her mother and because of that, Father doted on her differently with great care and tenderness. He also felt apologetic to her because she was forced to be raised in solitude within the walls of the Temple and away from everyone since birth.

On her ninth birthday, Father warded the memento, saying that it could help her when danger knocked on her door. The memento was her treasure but without hesitation, she handed this keepsake to Matthias, hoping that it could help him. However, it all still happened in the manner that was supposed to and she only knew that this was fate's way of warning her to stay in her line.

"Matthias," she called out to him softly.

He turned, looking towards her in an unfamiliar manner. It was as though he didn't recognise her because she couldn't feel any warmth and adoration within the hazel of his eyes. The shade of green was duller and colder, much like the wintry winds that howled with relentless strength outside. Matthias only held his gaze at her briefly before he jerked his head to the side and acknowledge her presence in a low voice, "Naailah."

His indifference towards her felt like a sharp pierce through her heart, and she nearly choked on her breath when emotions lodged in her throat. Her fingers sunk into the thick fabric of her dress and she fisted onto the material tightly. She swallowed hard and spoke only when she was sure that her voice wouldn't crack under the surging pressure of her sadness, "Are you alright?"