11. Home Again

Rivia: Meissa Palace, Receiving Room

Elianna

Elianna gripped firmly onto Rowan's shawl and walked behind him. Her heart thumped nervously as he pushed on the door gently and walked in. At first sound, she could already hear Tristan's disgruntled complain. "Rowan! Are you trying to drive me crazy?" he grumbled in exasperation. "You told Tazin that you're finding a wife? Now, that's great! Where do we go and find a wife for you?" 

"Right behind me," Rowan laughed reverberatingly. 

Elianna jumped when Rowan had unhesitatingly exposed her to Tristan's fury. She clutched on his shawl tighter now and tugged it down, secretly wanting to kick Rowan on the back of his calves. She took a small step to the side and revealed herself. Clearing her throat, she spoke softly, "It's been a while, everyone." 

Then, silence sank into the room in the same manner as her heart. She could only wonder what expression they held on their face as they looked at her. After all, the last time she heard from them was the letter that Ilias sent five years ago. Could they have resented her for her choices? She had wanted to say something but when her lips parted, sounds of heavy footsteps treaded towards her and a very gruff voice filled with sadness sounded, "Oh, sweetie, where have you disappeared to all these years?" 

She recognised the towering frame that crashed into her smaller one. The strong pair of arms that wrapped around her felt all too familiar and she left go of the fabric in her hand to return the hug. Tears flowed from the corner of her eyes and she breathed out a laugh through her cracked voice, "Alec, I missed you."

It was as though the pause in time had been lifted because she was immediately encased in the warmth of everyone's hold. Everyone had gathered around her and held her to them dearly. Even after so many years, she still felt the genuine love and care that everyone had for her. They stood there for a good moment before a child's voice sounded, "Please don't hug my mother so tightly. I don't want her hurt." 

The arms around her stiffened and she heard their sharp inhales clearly. A small chuckle escaped and the moment everyone let go of her, she felt being dragged until her face collided with a firm chest. Rowan complained softly, "Why are you letting them touch you carelessly? You're my wife, love." 

"But—"

"You look exactly like Ro when he's young!" Kaylon inhaled, surprised. "How could they look so alike? What kind of sorcery is this?" 

"Are you an idiot?" Ilias scolded and a loud smack was followed by a characteristic groan that belonged to Kaylon. 

A wide smile broke on her face when a feeling of comfort filled her when she listened to the whole room of everyone's voices. It's been too long since she had been around them and it brought her great joy to know that they're still lively as ever. 

However, she did notice that the moment she greeted everyone, she hadn't heard from Tristan at all. Neither had he joined the rest when they held her in their crushing hug a moment ago. So, she initiated, "Tristan?"