42.7. Sound of Love

Iftia: Sarein, West Iftia

Willow

Willow's world was always quiet and without a sound. Like a quiescent snowflake that fell from the skies to kiss the earth, her life drifted and sailed in silence. Whiteness in light that shone too brightly into nothingness, darkness as a canvas for dreams to be painted on, the stillness in her life grew deep without a single vibration that brokered in the air.

Feeling a tap on her arm, she turned and glanced straight at the lips belonging to an overly attractive man. The softness of it moved to pronounce the syllabus properly. She recognised the shape of her name, "Willow."

She always wondered how his voice sounded like whenever he called her. Even when she couldn't hear, there was so much warmth that brimmed within her. The man in front of her asked questions  — too many questions. He was interested to speak to her even when she was unable to respond to him and hold a proper conversation with him like how normal people could. He was also patient with her and whenever he asked her a question, he would wait for her response no matter how long she took to reply to him. 

Dropping her head to the side, she was gesturing for him to speak and he asked, pacing his words slow enough for her to read, "What are you knitting?" 

Lip reading was something that her parents taught her since she was young, it was their way of communicating with her and now, it was her way of understanding everyone else that talked to her. However, it would always take a while for her to comprehend the lip movements of someone and it wasn't always right; there's always a possibility of misunderstanding when two people spoke different languages. 

Willow mostly kept to herself and avoided having long conversations with anyone, until him. It wasn't embarrassing when they had mismatched conversations at times and he was attentive to slow down or rephrase himself whenever it got difficult for her to understand. Slowly, she found herself writing more words to him each time. More and more. Till it resembled how normal people would talk to each other on any occasion. 

As usual, he waited for her reply. His eyes were gazing into hers and it was too easy to get lost within the mesmerising colours. The gold that lay within the crevasses of blue were vividly clear with fragments of thoughts, splinters of words and wisps of emotions that coalesced into kaleidoscopic awe. 

A sudden skip of her heart caused her to realise the intensity of his stare and she remembered everything between them the night before, when they sat a little too close together by the fireplace. It was the first time she witnessed a gift and it was the first time she felt it against her skin. A rush of heat surfaced on her face and she became all flustered, not knowing what to do. Willow hastily wrapped the scarf she was knitting around his neck to answer to his question. 

Then, his expression changed slightly. The smile on his face was pulled a little wider from each side of his lips and she assumed that he was laughing from the way his shoulder shook lightly with each reverberation of his laugh. Her heart pounded a little harder this time, and she stunned. Willow thought about how this man appeared in her life all of a sudden without any logical explanation, without any warning. She couldn't help but think of the words he left her with from last night, and he made sure that she understood him clearly when he said: I want to get to know your world, Willow.