23. An Unexpected Turn

A week later

A week later.
Iftia: Lyx Palace, Dressing Room

Elianna

Clasping the deep blue capelet on the shoulder pad and arranging the gold ropes in place, Elianna helped Rowan in donning the accessories for his ceremonial uniform. Since that night in the gallery, Rowan grew quieter and deeper in his thoughts.

She didn't want to press him to speak to her, knowing that it took a huge step for him to unveil his pain and it would only make sense for her to leave him some space to breathe and gather his thoughts. As she moved to adjust his collar, he rested a hand on her waist and pulled her closer to him.

Carefully, his fingers moved wisps of hair away from her face and he pressed a kiss on her lips as he whispered, "Thank you, love."

"I'll go ahead to check on Arell. I hope Thunder isn't making a mess of his coat," she laughed lightly, moving away.

Rowan flexed his arm and held her back into his hold, resting his head against hers. She felt him taking a deep inhale and his fingers were fiddling with the ends of her brown hair which he twirled idily between his fingers. He said in a low voice, "We're not in a rush and I would like to hold you for a little longer."

"I won't let go of you," she replied in a gentle voice, relaxing against him. "No matter what happens, I'm never letting go of you, Rowan."

"I know," he breathed. "I know, love. Thank you."

He held her in his arms with a sort of silence that weighed them down. She could feel all the unsaid words between them and it caused her to wrap her arms tighter around his waist. Even if he rarely showed it, she knew that he was a person who loved ferociously with warmth and passion. Unhesitatingly, he would place all the people he cared for ahead of him and willingly suffer through all the pain and consequences by himself without letting others carry any burdens of his.

But, Rowan, even the toughest of stones would break, let alone something as fragile as a human soul.

She pressed closer to him, hoping that her love would be enough to ease his suffering and that he could make peace with all the hurt he held in his heart before his inner demons could overwhelm the best of him.

━━━━━━━━━━

Iftia: Royal Palace, Banquet Hall

Arell

Arell held onto Mother's hand as the guard announced their presence and the doors ahead of them were pushed opened. Bright light seeped from within and he stared in awe at the vastness and extravagance of the large banquet hall filled with people that had turned to look at them. His little heart thumped nervously and he remained unmoved even when Mother and Father took a step ahead.