27. Gift of Manipulation

Iftia: Lyx Palace, Matrimonial Bedchamber

Elianna

"M-Mother," Arell chattered as he shivered in her hold. The child felt too cold in her arms and she gripped tighter on his body as she placed a hand over his eyes. She adjusted him, allowing him to rest his head on her shoulder and she spoke softly, "Close your eyes, mea lux."

Elianna looked towards the bed with displaced emotions while suppressing everything, trying her hardest not to panic. She didn't want to alarm and scare the child in her arms. Yet, she was sure that he could feel the loud pounding of her heart and her trembling body.

"Rowan." Elianna tried her hardest to call onto him but he didn't respond. His complexion was too pale and the trickle of blood from his lips explained the spurt of crimson that dyed their sheets. She reached to touch his neck, towards where his pulse should be. Her hands were shaking so violently but she had to check. The fear she felt was overwhelming and different scenes played in her mind — each a haunting reminder of five years ago when he lay cold and lifeless in her arms.

Resting her fingers on his skin, she finally exhaled her held breath when she felt his pulse, albeit slow. Arell cuddled closer and buried his head into the curve of her neck, almost in a desperate search for security. She patted softly on his back and comforted, "It's okay, mea lux. Everything's okay."

Slowly, she moved to hug Rowan close to her, tangling her fingers in the softness of his dark hair. She whispered silently, "With all that I have, I will protect both of you."

Elianna stayed in place and Arell eventually fell back asleep in the warmth of her embrace while Rowan regained consciousness. Sleep didn't find her, so she noticed his movement at the first moment. He rested his hand on the curve of her waist and lowered his head, as though not wanting to face her. There was so much helplessness in his hoarse voice when he spoke, "I couldn't—"

"Shh, it's alright," she cooed. Lowering her head slightly to kiss his hair, she said, "You fought against her for long enough, Rowan. From this moment forward, please know that I would never let you fight another battle alone."

━━━━━━━━━━

Iftia: Elgens, Town of West Iftia, The Royal Manor

Matthias

"Your Highness." Ray entered the study after knocking on the door twice.

Matthias shifted his attention away from the mess of documents on his desk and faced his knight, noticing the troubled expression on his face immediately. Concerned, he asked, "What's the matter?"

"Her Majesty is here," Ray informed. "She requested your presence."

"In this late of the night?" Matthias wondered, alarmed at the sudden announcement. He glanced down on those papers again and sighed, "Alright, I would see her in the receiving room. Get Miranda to tidy up the main bedchamber in the manor, in case Mother would like to stay."