C H P - 9

"I can help."

----

"Huh?"

"I can help," Jihoon repeated calmly. The raging storm in his irises was gone now, leaving behind a clear and stagnant lake. The bouquet in his hands wasn't shaking anymore, either. Looking at it this way, he must have been quite skilled in disguising his emotions--especially if he could manage to fool even Soonyoung: the male who had seen the short breakdown take place. The mask he put on worked almost like magic, and it suddenly dawned on the shop owner that they were more than likely the same; they both made a point to keep their true emotions hidden, as they didn't want anyone else to have to deal with them.

"As in... w-work for the day?"

"Yes."

"But--"

"Yes, I will be Seokmin's replacement for the day."

Soonyoung swallowed thickly. Just what was up with today? First, Jihoon had appeared right when he was drowning in his thoughts--therefore exposing him to the hurt he had been keeping inside; second, he had been hit with the fact that a piece of the male, whether it be large or small, was beginning to remember them; and now this? The thought that fate was mad at him only grew stronger. It was almost as if he were the great Odysseus, and fate just so happened to be his own, personalized Poseidon. "But I can't pay you much..."

Despite this indirect plea, the shorter male still didn't show any signs of wavering. He looked to his friend with a face set in determination, carefully setting down the bouquet. His lungs may have been panicking only seconds before, but now his breathing came in steady, even intervals. "I can already think of something you can do to repay me."

"What is it?"

"Well..." Jihoon trailed off as his bottom lip was drawn between his teeth. After a few moments, though, his chocolate eyes narrowed, and he shook his head. There was no reason for him to state what his favor would be, not when he knew that it would dampen the already sorrowful mood. It just wasn't worth it; and therefore, it could wait. "Nope, I'll tell you when the day is done. Now show me where the aprons are, and I'll get started."

Soonyoung tried to repay the kind gesture by offering a smile, the edges of his plump lips curling upwards, his eyes squinting to form crescents. He hoped the expression was somewhat convincing, as not even he knew why he was so nervous about this--especially when Jihoon was just trying to be considerate of him. It was crucial that he calmed himself down. "Alright. Follow me." He shimmied around the work counter, carefully avoiding the corner, and silently led the way across the shop. His heart was still fervent, but he could tell that it was slowly beginning to reach a state of calm.

"Ready?"

"Yup."

The shop owner pursed his lips. "Okay," he breathed uncertainly, curling his fingers around the knob and pushing the door to the back room open. White light from the shop poured into the space, its whispy fingers stretching in as far in as they could possibly go. He clumsily fumbled around for the light switch before taking the first step inside.

"Those are the aprons?" Jihoon questioned immediately, already heading over to the racks on the far wall, where the green work aprons were hung. He didn't seem to observe, or even focus on, much else--just the aprons. His reaction probably had to do with how determined he was to be of help.